how to transfer the photos during travel

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 25, 2005 1:15:53 AM

I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
all pictures.

Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

More about : transfer photos travel

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:38:59 AM

buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
: I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
: travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
: all pictures.

: Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

There are several solutions. Some are more practial than others depending
on your particular needs. Only you can decide what solution is best for
you.

The most expensive solution would be to carry a laptop with a card reader
so you can dump the card contents to the hard drive. While this is good if
you have a laptop and are willing to take it on vacation with you, and
this allows you to not only store but also check and edit your photos on
the road, it is not for everyone.

Next is an offline storage device. Some have a card reader built into a
external hard drive. Others have a card reader on a CD burner. Some of
these devices run on batteries or AC while others only run on AC. Hard
drive models have a limit on how much storage you have available while
replaceable media models (CDs) are only limited by how many blank disks
you are carrying. But on the other hand each CD holds a very limited
amaount of memory while many HD units have very large capacities (for very
large camera files). I would also include systems such as the camera
adapters and card readers for I-pods and similar. One other side benefit
of many of these devices is that some can be plugged into your home
computer for use as an external drive when you are not on vacation.

If you do not need several gig of storage you might wish to just purchase
more memory cards. SD cards are getting very inexpensive (particularly in
the smaller numbers like 128 and 256). So purchasing several more cards
shouldn't put too much of a strain on your pocket.

One more choice is to go to some of the local discount stores (Walmart,
Costco, etc). Many now have a do-it-yourself CD burner that you can copy
your card to a CD (for a minimal fee).

So depending on how much more memory you are likely to need on your
vacation, and how often you will need this additional memory, the
"correct" choice will vary. For example, a CD burner may become cost
effective if you are likely to use it for several trips each year. While
just needing one or two 128s to get you through a single trip, purchasing
the additional couple cards may be best for you. Only you can decide. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:11:42 PM

Kayla wrote:
> I saw this wonderful device - Epson P2000 that I think is great
> although it's expensive. It has 40 GB of storage space.

It retails for roughly $500.

For slightly less ($400 + $30), you could get 60GB iPod and their "iPod
Camera Connector", but it has its trade-offs: (direct download from
camera, shorter battery life, but 50% more capacity & only 6oz weight).

> It's a "must have" on my list of things I "really" need.

I've been debating getting the P2000 myself, "but..."

Its 4x the mass of an iPod, and with both of them being roughly half
the price of a laptop, the temptation is to pay a bit more and gain a
greater overall utility. I'm sure I've not been alone on this thought.

Part of my dilemma has been that I know that part of the P2000's
weight/size is due to of its battery size to support its "long" battery
life claim, but actual data on its battery life is not on its
specifications data sheet.

** For RPD members who own a P2000, some hard data on its
** battery life would be useful and very much appreciated.

(ie, many GB of data can be copied per battery charge?)

Back to the OP:

> >Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

When it comes down to the overall question of what to do about image
storage when more than 10ft from your home PC, there's really only a
couple of options:

1) Buy a buffer big enough to get home.
2) Pay for downloads to CD-R's while travelling.
3) Buy a portable storage device to download to
a) of quasi-dedicated
b) of general purpose type

Which means:

1) ($varies) Buy more flash cards to be "enough" (varies)
2) Cheap, but it will squander travel time to go find the service
3a) $500 for a wallet (Epson P2000; DigiMagic Portable CD Burner)
3b) $1000 for a laptop

Which one is the best option for you will depend on several factors:
A) How much $ am I willing to spend?
B) How small/light does my system really need to be?
C) How much "away from power plug" capability do I need?
D) How much total storage buffer (capacity) is needed?

For example, for going backpacking, you'll be away from a power plug
for TBD days and you're weight/size constrained. Flash Cards are the
lightest physically, as well as the lowest power demand...and you
download them for free (time+cost) when you get home. But they're the
most expensive option per GB.

Its hard to really do a good job cross-comparing the alternatives
without first narrowing down what it is that you really need.

-hh
August 25, 2005 12:42:39 PM

In article <1124943353.440156.161260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
buaanupt@sina.com wrote:

> I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
> travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
> all pictures.
>
> Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

Buy more SD cards for your trip.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:57:34 PM

I saw this wonderful device - Epson P2000 that I think is great
although it's expensive. It has 40 GB of storage space. It's a "must
have" on my list of things I "really" need.

Lori

On 24 Aug 2005 21:15:53 -0700, buaanupt@sina.com wrote:

>I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
>travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
>all pictures.
>
>Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:47:44 PM

"Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
news:D ejlhj$cn1$1@wildfire.prairienet.org...

SNIP

> If you do not need several gig of storage you might wish to just purchase
> more memory cards. SD cards are getting very inexpensive (particularly in
> the smaller numbers like 128 and 256). So purchasing several more cards
> shouldn't put too much of a strain on your pocket.

It should be noted that one 256Mb card is cheaper than two 128Mb cards and
one 512Mb card is cheaper than two 256Mb cards, and (probably) so on.

Gerrit
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:47:45 PM

Gerrit 't Hart <gthart@sad.au> wrote:

: "Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
: news:D ejlhj$cn1$1@wildfire.prairienet.org...

: SNIP
: >
: > If you do not need several gig of storage you might wish to just
: > purchase more memory cards. SD cards are getting very inexpensive
: > (particularly in the smaller numbers like 128 and 256). So purchasing
: > several more cards shouldn't put too much of a strain on your pocket.

: It should be noted that one 256Mb card is cheaper than two 128Mb cards
: and one 512Mb card is cheaper than two 256Mb cards, and (probably) so
: on.

True (in my experience). One thought, if larger cards are going to be used
(and likely filled) and archiving to a CD is in the future without a HD or
computer inbetween the two memory forms, you may look at cards ond/or
combinations of cards that are equal to or less than the capacity of a CD.
For example, I have a 6mp camera and have several "sets" of cards. Each
set is one 512mb card and one 128mb card. Thus each set will fit
comfortably one one CD (I have a battery powered CD burner for travel
storage). By having these sets I don't have to worry about splitting a
single card across more than one CD (which my unit has difficulty doing).

BTW, since we are talking about memory cards, I personally stick with a
brand of SD card that I know works consistantly in my camera. For me this
is Sandisk. There are probably other brands that are as good or better,
and possibly cheaper. But for the very slight difference in price of
equivalent brands I feel it is worth the peace of mind that comes from
knowing that the cards are very likely to work every time in my camera.

Also be sure to try any new card in your camera and all card readers
before leaving on vacation. After you have filled a card with
irreplaceable photos is not the time to discover that this card has a
problem with your equipment. ;)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 8:30:43 PM

buaanupt@sina.com wrote:

> I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
> travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
> all pictures.
>
> Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

You will probably need more than 128MB for several days' shooting, so
more cards would help.

Then when they are full, go to a cybercafe or internet cafe where you
will be able to burn a CD, then you can re-use the cards.

Colin D.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:53:48 PM

I do a great deal of traveling and use a portable hard drive to store my
images on. I currently use a PD70X and a Transcend Digital Album.

www.alldigital.fotopic.net
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:46:04 AM

Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I am thinking
about a best(maybe) way.

Now, I have one 128MB SD card. Then, I will buy a 10GB harddisk. When
the SD card is full, I will transfer the pictures in SD card to the
harddisk. But, the question is:

I still have to find a computer to connect the harddisk and also the
camera at the same time to transfer. This may be impossible in some
cases. So, I would like to look for the device:
1. having 10GB;
2. function by battery(preferable) or AC;
3. can read SD card; or connect digital camera via USB;
4. can transfer the data in SD card to the device.

I am not sure the key word for such device, can you pls suggest
one?Thank you very much.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:51:06 AM

buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
> I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
> travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
> all pictures.
>
> Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

VERY simple. Buy a couple of more cards. A 256 meg card is about $25
these days.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"Shawn Hirn" <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <1124943353.440156.161260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
>
>> I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
>> travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
>> all pictures.
>>
>> Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.
>
> Buy more SD cards for your trip.

Or take low-res pictures!
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:28:35 AM

buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
: Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I am thinking
: about a best(maybe) way.

: Now, I have one 128MB SD card. Then, I will buy a 10GB harddisk. When
: the SD card is full, I will transfer the pictures in SD card to the
: harddisk. But, the question is:

: I still have to find a computer to connect the harddisk and also the
: camera at the same time to transfer. This may be impossible in some
: cases. So, I would like to look for the device:
: 1. having 10GB;
: 2. function by battery(preferable) or AC;
: 3. can read SD card; or connect digital camera via USB;
: 4. can transfer the data in SD card to the device.

: I am not sure the key word for such device, can you pls suggest
: one?Thank you very much.

The search words are "stand alone data storage"+"portable hard
drive"+"card reader". Just to check I typed those terms into Yahoo and
found a nice selection of possibles. One thing I noticed, I am yet to see
a stand alone unit that is as small as 10GB. You may have to go up to 20
or 40GB.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:48:07 AM

buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
> Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I am thinking
> about a best(maybe) way.
>
> Now, I have one 128MB SD card. Then, I will buy a 10GB harddisk. When
> the SD card is full, I will transfer the pictures in SD card to the
> harddisk.

I know that I don't know you, but I do really think that it is a "bad
idea" to invest in a portable hard disk with only one SD card.

First off, the 128MB SD card you have right is only worth around
$10-$15. IMO, that's a drop in the bucket...one can spend that going
into Starbucks for coffee.

As such, I think that its very much worth buying at least a few more
inexpensive SD cards before spending the money for a portable hard disk
system.

YMMV on how much you want to spend on flash cards, but IMO, you
definitely should have more than just one. If for no other reason, you
don't want to have to stop shooting while you're in the field, to
download your one-and-only SD card before you can shoot another image.

My digital camera doesn't take SD, so I'm not up on their prices. You
can look online, or you can keep an eye on your Sunday Newspaper sales
circulars to watch for sales (often with rebates) on Memory cards.
Point-n-shoot cameras don't generally need "Ultra" speeds, so I think
that you should be able to find 256M SD cards for around $25, a 512M SD
cards for $40, or a 1GB SD card for $60.

Between these choices, I'd probably decide to spend the $60 to get the
1GB card.

If your Kodak is around a 4MP system, a 1GB card should probably give
you around 500 frames at max size/resolution. For a typical week long
vacation, that's 2 travel days + 5 days where you have 100 frames per
day available...in traditional 35mm terms, this would have been roughly
3rolls per day, or 15 rolls packed for the week. YMMV on if this is
more, less, or close to what you shot with film and while you do seem
to shoot more with digital, you can review & clean-up / delete at night
which can net this effect out.

-hh
August 26, 2005 10:30:49 AM

http://www.vosonic.com/

--
Joan

<buaanupt@sina.com> wrote in message
> Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I am thinking
> about a best(maybe) way.
>
> Now, I have one 128MB SD card. Then, I will buy a 10GB harddisk. When
> the SD card is full, I will transfer the pictures in SD card to the
> harddisk. But, the question is:
>
> I still have to find a computer to connect the harddisk and also the
> camera at the same time to transfer. This may be impossible in some
> cases. So, I would like to look for the device:
> 1. having 10GB;
> 2. function by battery(preferable) or AC;
> 3. can read SD card; or connect digital camera via USB;
> 4. can transfer the data in SD card to the device.
>
> I am not sure the key word for such device, can you pls suggest
> one?Thank you very much.

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:24:30 AM

buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
> Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I am thinking
> about a best(maybe) way.
>
> Now, I have one 128MB SD card. Then, I will buy a 10GB harddisk. When
> the SD card is full, I will transfer the pictures in SD card to the
> harddisk. But, the question is:
>
> I still have to find a computer to connect the harddisk and also the
> camera at the same time to transfer. This may be impossible in some
> cases. So, I would like to look for the device:
> 1. having 10GB;
> 2. function by battery(preferable) or AC;
> 3. can read SD card; or connect digital camera via USB;
> 4. can transfer the data in SD card to the device.
>
> I am not sure the key word for such device, can you pls suggest
> one?Thank you very much.

You could try "portable digital camera storage device SD USB". This site
has a comparison (but I don't know how accurate it is):

http://www.offrench.net/photos/articles/portable_storag...

We use the Epson P-2000:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

It is also worth investing in a second SD card just in case something goes
wrong with the first on, although that's very unlikely, or in case you
loose or damage the card.

David
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:53:39 PM

David J Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

: You could try "portable digital camera storage device SD USB". This
: site has a comparison (but I don't know how accurate it is):

: http://www.offrench.net/photos/articles/portable_storag...

: We use the Epson P-2000:

: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

: It is also worth investing in a second SD card just in case something
: goes wrong with the first on, although that's very unlikely, or in case
: you loose or damage the card.

I agree. While reading this I thought of one other ability you may want to
look for in a portable storage device. It is very handy to be able to
check that the image has transferred correctly (before you erase the card
for further use in your camera). To this end it is prefferable that the
device either have a built in screen (best choice), or be able to plug
into a TV for display (good if you will have access to a TV). But the
above suggestion of having more than one card is still good. This allows
you to continue shooting while waiting to copy the first (full) card into
the storage device. Even if the device is in your backpack on your back, a
second card is good. I have found that cards tend to become totally full
just when you are in the midst of an activity that requires more photos be
taken, immediately. Swapping to a second card gives you a little time to
choose a convenient moment to offload the full card. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:14:07 PM

I second the suggestion to buy more storage cards.

In my travels, I have had enough problems just keeping the camera batteries
charged. I have a collection of adapters from US 2 prong to other plugs.
Fortunately the camera battery charger has a wide voltage and frequency
input tolerance.

Depending upon where you travel, battery charging can become a MAJOR issue,
such that you might need more than one backup battery for the camera. This
would lead to an assessment of whether or not spare batteries are needed for
mass storage.

If you start carrying portable mass storage devices, you will have the same
problems with keeping their batteries charged.

I just carry a whole stack of memory cards....much simpler and less weight.

--Wayne
"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Shawn Hirn" <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> In article <1124943353.440156.161260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> buaanupt@sina.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 128MB SD card for Kodak digital camera. During a long time
>>> travelling, it is obvious that one SD card is not sufficient to store
>>> all pictures.
>>>
>>> Can you please suggest how to solve this problem? Thank you very much.
>>
>> Buy more SD cards for your trip.
>
> Or take low-res pictures!

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:04:00 PM

Kayla <afwt_@hotmail.com> writes:

> I saw this wonderful device - Epson P2000 that I think is great
> although it's expensive. It has 40 GB of storage space. It's a "must
> have" on my list of things I "really" need.
>
> Lori

There are cheaper devices that store pictures if you don't need to display the
pictures until you get back. Check out http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com, which
sells several of the devices.

There are also standalone CD and DVD burners out there that will take a media
card and burn a CD/DVD for you. Since you have small size media cards (128M or
256M), the cheaper CD burners are probably more than adequate.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org