Sign in with
Your question

Should I go for a 550W power supply or 650W?

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 6:12:53 AM

Hi guys—completely disregarding the difference in price i'm wondering if I should go for a 550W power supply or a 600/650W one.
Here's my system:
Asrock Extreme 4 Mobo
I5-3570K
GTX 560 (non Ti/Se)
Kingston 2133mhz 8GB DDR3
1 regular SATA
1 DVD burner.
Might add 1 mid range sound card.

Note that I will be overclocking some time down the track and possibly upgrading my GPU in a year + time.
However I don't want my system to suffer during that year if I get a power supply that is too big and harms my components.

Would the Antec true power 550/650 models be a good choice?

Thanks for your help :) .

More about : 550w power supply 650w

Related resources
December 15, 2012 9:18:49 AM

What is your budget?
m
l
December 15, 2012 9:46:36 AM

laststop - Hopefully less than $150
Bigcyco—thanks for the recommendation. You don't think 620 could be too big? Also, is this "high current" PSU type good for all setups or just specific ones? Will it treat my components well?
m
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 11:55:04 AM

Yes it's good read the reviews i linked.It's more then you need sure but i thought that's what you wanted you can certainly get by with less.
m
l
December 15, 2012 8:46:48 PM

Thanks bigcyco as I said I think i can "get by with less" but if there's no disadvantage to getting 620 I will do that instead.
I'm not concerned in the slightest about the extra cash.
I'm just worried that it won't be good for my components to have too big a power supply.
Is this irrational?
m
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 9:02:57 PM

Is there such a thing as "too much power"?

Generally, no. A power supply only puts out as much power as needed by the system's components. In some cases, an 800W power supply may actually use less power from the wall than a 500W power supply, depending on the efficiency of the units. Often times, buying an "oversized" PSU is a good choice due to it's ability to perform even under higher temperatures, a quieter fan because the unit is delivering a lower percentage of it's total capability and considerable system upgradability without having to worry about having enough power when upgrading a graphics card, adding a graphics card for SLI or additional hard drives.you can use as much power as you want. The higher wattage rating is the max it can output when asked to, not how much it always outputs. As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have an or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you are aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.
m
l
a c 307 ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 9:25:33 PM

Xenharmonic said:
Thanks bigcyco as I said I think i can "get by with less" but if there's no disadvantage to getting 620 I will do that instead.
I'm not concerned in the slightest about the extra cash.
I'm just worried that it won't be good for my components to have too big a power supply.
Is this irrational?

Hi - no harm in getting the 620 - only $10 more I would do it.
I did the same thing, 450w was all I needed, got 650w.
Bigcyco is correct, PSU only pulls from the wall what the
PC components demand from the PSU.
m
l
!