Should I make a new rig or Update my current one?

hitshane

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have a custom gaming setup that is 4+ years old. I play games like MMO's and stand alones like Skyrim. I stream movies over internet and play music. I also am back in school for business and use the computer for office and what not. It is connected to my Samsung 36inch/HDMI (TV). I have to lock most games at the 60hz refresh rate for my tv, because i dont want to hurt it and it runs great with no hichups in games. Because I sat back on my couch, to see the games I run them at like 1360x768 resolution. Its just getting old and I feel like I should make a new rig or update this one some. Should I make a new system with a $1500 budget or upgrade this one to SSD drive, double the ram, and add another graphics card? Opinions please :) BTW I am new to the forums :p

Thermaltake armor case with 650w Nvidia Power and tons of fans

Intel core 2 duo E8500 3.16 oc 3.56ghz

EVGA nForce 750i SLI Mobo oc 1500mhz

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb core 670Mhz, shade 1674Mhz, mem 972Mhz

Corsair Platinum? 4GB Ram @850Mhz 5-5-5-15

Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme

HDD 250 GB

Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

My windows ratings are top to bottom, cpu 6.8, ram 6.8, graphics 6.9, game graphics 6.9, hd 5.2 :/

If you're pretty much set at playing games @ 1366x768, I would just get some component upgrades like an SSD :)

However, if you plan to play games @ 1080p, I would highly recommend a new rig as you could make a wicked, wicked system with your budget.

hitshane

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Thank You for the response :p I have been putting off buying a monitor for about 2 years because its just really handy using the tower for my home entertainment system hooked to my tv... So either I spend a grand on a larger tv and upgrade my tower as is or I get a new rig and a monitor and move it to a desk. I have been looking over the forums here and other places about what components to buy for my budget. even looking at new egg, it seams that I can get the same parts in a built system from CyberPowerPC for the same price. Plus if I buy it through them then I have the warranty.

This is a good thing to take into consideration since new things are just around the corner. However, if you plan to build a rig with that mindset, you may never be able to build a new rig due to new things ALWAYS coming out every year.

hitshane

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

for prices to drop or new tech?

Personally I would prefer to build myself over CyberPowerPC just because of the customizability. I understand CyberPowerPC offers a wide variety of items, but you could make yourself a very nice rig for much cheaper, and still have individual warranties on the items you bought (Some components have warranty's as long as 5 years+!).

Ah right, if you build yourself a new rig, keep your old PC as your entertainment system :lol: that's what I did with my oldy!

hitshane

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Im not having any problems with performance most likely due to my resolution settings. I just told the wife I need a new PC and she said have at it so :p Ill do some more shopping and post the parts I come up with and see what everyone thinks about my choices :) I will have the resources in the next 30 days to aquire them...

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I would probably wait then. If there's nothing wrong with your current system anyway. I don't upgrade my computers unless there is a performance issue or i want a particular function my current PC doesn't have.

If you are not having gaming performance problems, then there is no urgent reason to upgrade.

I would, however consider changing to a SSD. It will make everything you do feel so much quicker.
SSD prices are down to <$1 per gb. You could just clone your current hard drive to a ssd, and make a very easy transition out of it.

But... it sounds like you have the itch.

If you have the itch, go ahead and scratch it.

Build it yourself. You will still get the manufacturer's warranty on parts, and that is often even longer than standard prebuilt warranties.

The satisfaction.. Priceless.