Sign in with
Your question

The problems continue

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2012 9:33:49 AM

Hi, again!

A few days ago, I posted here thinking my SSD was breaking down. No one really had anything to say to that but I was certain that was the case. However, after removing the SSD, there're still problems.

Here's a short list of the things my PC did before removing the SSD:

-Disk read errors upon booting up
-Inability to run programs on SSD
-Audio sputtering
-Random freezing (not the mouse)

So, I decided to install Ubuntu on my PC's HDD before removing the SSD, so that I could do something with it when the SSD was gone. The PC was doing great with Ubuntu: No freezing, no errors. I didn't have the time to install any programs or drivers for my audio card but everything was doing perfect. I slept well and the next day I would unplug the SSD and see if it still works. And of course, it wouldn't. Now the PC said: "No proper boot device." I thought that was weird so I checked that the PC was booting from the correct drives. It was but the problem sustained. As it wasn't the end of the world, I searched up my Win7 installation disks and started installing it. It froze at one point. I let it stay there for maybe 30 minutes but there was no change. I tried it again and again but the freezing occurs at the same time, always. It's been sitting frozen there for the whole time I've been writing this message, too

So, could this be the case of a malfunctioning MOBO, after all? I don't think it's the Win7 because I don't see how a software could go bad over time. Other thing about the MOBO. It seems that none of the lights of my AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 aren't working. At some point during these last few days, they were blinking away but not anymore.

What do I do, guys?
Thanks for your help in advance!

-Mon4ro

More about : problems continue

a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 11:28:32 AM

Freezing which does not recover on a fresh install is nearly always due to problem memory. Windows 7 is much more critical of memory than Ubuntu, which will run on a computer with problem memory without apparent problem. You should try running memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory. Even if the computer passes the memory test you still may have problems with the memory.
August 2, 2012 8:29:53 AM

pjmelect said:
Freezing which does not recover on a fresh install is nearly always due to problem memory. Windows 7 is much more critical of memory than Ubuntu, which will run on a computer with problem memory without apparent problem. You should try running memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory. Even if the computer passes the memory test you still may have problems with the memory.

Alright! Thanks for the advice. I'm running the test, at the moment. I'll post the results when I get them.
Related resources
August 2, 2012 9:52:53 AM

Three Memtest86 passes - no failures. I'm gonna keep looking for the problem someplace else.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2012 11:19:03 AM

So it's the SSD that appears to be the problem?

Ah, I see you have a Force 3, that uses the Sandforce chipset. I think that's your problem, despite them now being 3rd Gen, there are still a lot of reliability issues with Sandforce Controller based SSD's (OCZ's Vertex and Agility lines being equally notorious). Get an RMA off to Corsair and get it replaced.

How do I know this? A friend of mine with a Force 3 SSD had pretty much the EXACT same problem as you.
August 2, 2012 12:25:48 PM

Griffolion said:
So it's the SSD that appears to be the problem?

Ah, I see you have a Force 3, that uses the Sandforce chipset. I think that's your problem, despite them now being 3rd Gen, there are still a lot of reliability issues with Sandforce Controller based SSD's (OCZ's Vertex and Agility lines being equally notorious). Get an RMA off to Corsair and get it replaced.

How do I know this? A friend of mine with a Force 3 SSD had pretty much the EXACT same problem as you.

I see. Well, the odd thing is, I replugged the SSD and all my problems are away now. Maybe a cable was loose or something but it's working again. We'll see if the problems come back. Hopefully, not, though.

-Mon4ro
August 2, 2012 12:39:05 PM

sounds like ram or mobo issue.
not going to be a disk problem if both your ssd and hdd have similar problems.

tried reseating your ram?
August 2, 2012 12:59:55 PM

hilltopmonk said:
sounds like ram or mobo issue.
not going to be a disk problem if both your ssd and hdd have similar problems.

tried reseating your ram?

That's the thing: I only had the problems with the SSD - not with the HDD. But now it's working again so let's hope it's fixed for good. : )
!