Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What CPU should I buy?

Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2012 9:04:27 AM

Hello,
my budget is around 850$, I'm looking to buy a new PC, I am willing to buy everything except a graphics card because I already have an 8 months old AMD 6850 HD. and I'm really confused, what cpu should I get?
thanks

More about : cpu buy

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2012 9:22:57 AM

The Radeon HD 6800 series was released on October 22, 2010.
- I run one myself.

Do you require a new case and power supply unit?

Spec out the sort of baseline system you want, then tweak it until it's the price you want to spend.

You may come up under budget.

You should be able to get, roughly:

CPU Intel Core i5 3470 (3.20Ghz/6MB/Quad Core) (at least, after tweaks you can probably get a higher model CPU with even better performance).

Memory Kingston 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3, Dual Channel

OEM OS for new motherboard Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (with MS OEM media for reinstallation)
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX MB Intel Z77 Chipset, 4x DDR3, SATA3, USB3.0, 8 CH, HDMI, DVI, VGA, PCI-E 3.0
- Or any similar $125 motherboard, this one is just popular with System Builders...

Hard Disk Seagate 2TB Barracuda, SATAIII, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
Optical Drive 22X Dual Layer DVD Burner

Sound Card Onboard 7.1 Channel
December 15, 2012 9:30:20 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
The Radeon HD 6800 series was released on October 22, 2010.
- I run one myself.

Do you require a new case and power supply unit?

Spec out the sort of baseline system you want, then tweak it until it's the price you want to spend.

You may come up under budget.

You should be able to get, roughly:

CPU Intel Core i5 3470 (3.20Ghz/6MB/Quad Core)

Memory Kingston 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3, Dual Channel

OEM OS for new motherboard Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (with MS OEM media for reinstallation)
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX MB Intel Z77 Chipset, 4x DDR3, SATA3, USB3.0, 8 CH, HDMI, DVI, VGA, PCI-E 3.0
- Or any similar $125 motherboard, this one is just popular with System Builders...

Hard Disk Seagate 2TB Barracuda, SATAIII, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
Optical Drive 22X Dual Layer DVD Burner

Sound Card Onboard 7.1 Channel

thanks for replying.
I know that the 6800 series is from 2010, I meant I bought mine 8 months ago.
and for the motherboard, I was thinking AsRock Extreme 4, and I see you suggested another one, which is better?
please note that I will also buy a monitor.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2012 9:40:43 AM

A monitor will make up somewhat for me not spec'ing a case/PSU in the above.
- Should still be roughly within budget.

I'm not a fan of AsRock personally, but if you have your heart set on the AsRock Extreme 4 then go for it.

The ASRock Z77-EXTREME4 Motherboard should cost around $140 or so, it might be cheaper in your part of the world. :-)
- The -M variant is about $20 to $25 dollars cheaper, but I doubt that's the one you meant.
- The Asus one I mentioned was just from a PC that sells for around $850 that I got the specs from, they are both Intel Z77 chipset based motherboards and will offer very similar specs. Power-phases, etc. are where manufacturers differentiate their product.

The CPU, MOBO, RAM, HDD, and Win7 64-bit SP1 will only cost you around $580.
- That leaves apx $270 for other parts.
Score
December 15, 2012 9:47:42 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
A monitor will make up somewhat for me not spec'ing a case/PSU in the above.
- Should still be roughly within budget.

I'm not a fan of AsRock personally, but if you have your heart set on the AsRock Extreme 4 then go for it.

The ASRock Z77-EXTREME4 Motherboard should cost around $140 or so, it might be cheaper in your part of the world. :-)
- The -M variant is about $20 to $25 dollars cheaper, but I doubt that's the one you meant.
- The Asus one I mentioned was just from a PC that sells for around $850 that I got the specs from, they are both Intel Z77 chipset based motherboards and will offer very similar specs. Power-phases, etc. are where manufacturers differentiate their product.

The CPU, MOBO, RAM, HDD, and Win7 64-bit SP1 will only cost you around $580.
- That leaves apx $270 for other parts.

ok, thanks.
I also forgot to tell you that I'm not a fan of OC'ing, and I won't OC anything in the future,,,,if that helps in deciding.
Score
December 15, 2012 5:48:55 PM

Best answer selected by A-SkyWalker-115.
Score
!