Solved

DVI vs HDMI

Which cable is better for high-end gaming?
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdmi
  1. Best answer
    Neither is better. They both offer exactly the same quality because they both carry same signal.
  2. I use HDMI just for the simplicity of a smaller cable, and i use my video card to stream my audio to my TV, so one cable is better for my set up

if you plan on using audio via your PC to the monitor or TV you can use HDMI. otherwise either or would work the same
  3. I believe High speed HDMI 1.4 cables support 120Hz and higher resolutions like 2560 x 1600, so I would say if your monitor supports resolutions above 1920 x 1200 or above 60Hz then go for High speed HDMI.
  4. What If I want to upgrade to 3 monitors after a while?

Rustyy117 said:
    I believe High speed HDMI 1.4 cables support 120Hz and higher resolutions like 2560 x 1600, so I would say if your monitor supports resolutions above 1920 x 1200 or above 60Hz then go for High speed HDMI.
  5. asalikus said:
    What If I want to upgrade to 3 monitors after a while?

either way if you plan on going to 3 monitors you will need a active display port adapter which will usually be a HDMI on the other end, unless your card is something like the flex edition cards from sapphire.

hdmi is normally the best and cheapest choice right now anyway. but in the case of limited out ports on video cards most cases you will have to use, 1 x dvi, 1 x hdmi and 1 x DP adapter.
  6. DVI cables are generally certified shorter, around 5~10m.
    HDMI cables can be as long as 15m.
    The VIDEO quality is exactly the same because they are passing DIGITAL signal...
    If you do find yourself needing to daisy chain a "high end" speaker / cinematic audio system, I would suggest HDMI, since it's way easier to get it working, HDMI v1.4 cable will do just fine. It's also a lot easier to manage.
  7. asalikus said:
    What If I want to upgrade to 3 monitors after a while?

Then You will have to use a combination of ports/cables, For example HDMI, DVI, DP.... If you want to run 3 monitors in surround or eyefinity then you may need an active DP adapter.
  8. Rustyy117 said:
    I believe High speed HDMI 1.4 cables support 120Hz and higher resolutions like 2560 x 1600, so I would say if your monitor supports resolutions above 1920 x 1200 or above 60Hz then go for High speed HDMI.

DVI supports that as well.
  9. Sunius said:
    DVI supports that as well.

I thought that was Dual link DVI that supported 120Hz and resolutions above 1920 x 1200, not DVI?
  10. That's the same thing, single link cables aren't used anymore practically.
  11. Sunius said:
    That's the same thing, single link cables aren't used anymore practically.

Well they're technically and physically different (different pin layout on the connector) and offer different functionality so they're not the same really.
  12. I meant to say that there are DVI Dual Link and DVI Single link. They are both DVI. So yea, it's accurate to say that DVI Dual Link is DVI. Also, since single link cables are history, it's not really important to mention them.
  13. Sunius said:
    I meant to say that there are DVI Dual Link and DVI Single link. They are both DVI. So yea, it's accurate to say that DVI Dual Link is DVI. Also, since single link cables are history, it's not really important to mention them.

But its not accurate to say that DVI is DVI Dual link as DVI cannot do what DVI Dual link can. Anyway it doesn't really matter anymore I just wanted to let the OP know the differences.
  14. Best answer selected by asalikus.
  15. 3.96 Gbit/s vs 10.2 Gbit/s? :D

Sunius said:
    Neither is better. They both offer exactly the same quality because they both carry same signal.
  16. Please post the source where you found that info because you've taken those numbers out of context and they make no sense at all. It's like saying "One car has 5 and another 6, which is better?".
  17. LOL, you are right, I got the numbers from Wikipedia. I wrote DVI in one tab and HDMI at the other, I scrolled down the page and at the left side I found out that HDMI's bitrate is 10.2Gbit/s at 340 MHz and DVI's 3.96Gbit/s at 400MHz. I am really confused, maybe I shouldn't worry about it that much.

Sunius said:
    Please post the source where you found that info because you've taken those numbers out of context and they make no sense at all. It's like saying "One car has 5 and another 6, which is better?".
  18. I mean right side :D
  19. I would just ignore it. Wikipedia is known for having inaccurate information. Know this: HDMI and DVI are exactly the same.
  20. Thank you very much :)

Sunius said:
    I would just ignore it. Wikipedia is known for having inaccurate information. Know this: HDMI and DVI are exactly the same.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming DVI HDMI Cable Graphics