Gaming Computer (First Build)

Im currently building my first ever computer. Is there anything im missing out and will the chosen parts be able to play todays games? Little advice before i hit the buy button =)

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory
PSU: Antec 750W High Current Gamer PSU
CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
DRIVE: SAMSUNG DVD+/-RW 18x6x18x8 D/LAYER BLACK
HD: WD 1TB Caviar Green Internal Hard Drive
GRAPHICS: Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
CASE: NZXT LEXA BLACK

All for £762.40 inc vat and delivery?
10 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer first build
  1. Get a 600 W PSU when you arent SLIng, it will save you some $. Maybe you could upgrade that GPU to a 7850/7870? Dont get a Green HDD lol. Its slow as crap xD. Get a Blue/Black from WDigital or an HDD from Seagate. Good case though. :D
  2. I would add an SSD drive for the OS.
  3. Too much CPU --- not enough video *oomph*. With your budget, some high end video options will work for you.

(OP budget is around $1,200 US)
  4. I agree. You want GPU oompf. The Asus 560Ti gets high marks, but you could go a step higher to 7870 by reducing your PSU down to 550-600W without a negative impact on your system. And the price would be the same.

I built my rig 4 months ago, and just added a SSD. They are totally worth it! I bought it later so I don't feel guilty about total cost.
  5. What size of ssd would be sutable for the os?
  6. 64GB is fine for just OS, but the price/GB is higher on 64GB SSDs.
  7. Here try this, just swap out the GPU for whichever one you want. You should have about $300 or so to play with a GPU.

Edit:

Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler <- This is worthless. If you wanna spend alot get the Noctua DH-14. If you wanna buy smart and save a bunch of cash get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + or evo.
  8. I'd rather get the Antec Eleven Hundred instead of the Nine Hundred. Same price but better cable management.
  9. Cases are more personal preference. As long as you have at least 1 fan on the front, back, top, side you can't really go that wrong. I just felt 'obligated' to list a case in my build recommendations just to have one present. I didnt go with either, I liked/like the Rosewill Challenger...but I think my next case I want a window.
  10. I would ditch the water cooling, usually I hear that the premade water kits aren't any better than a Hyper212 (30$). (Not to mention the risk of leaks)

Your 1600Mhz ram could be swapped down to 1333Mhz, it doesn't make a bit of difference in nearly all applications.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drives tend to be cheaper (99$ stateside), and ARE faster than the WD green drives.

A 600W PSU is plenty, as others have said.

Upgrading your GPU would be the single biggest thing you can spend money to improve. I'd go for a 7850 or 7870 (or a nvidia 670 if you can afford) over the lastgen card, the new generation is quite a lot faster and consumes less power.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems