New PC Build, First time...Help!

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
So I am taking the plunge and deciding to build my first PC, something I have wanted to do for a long time. Below is a list of my components, I just want to see if anyone would give a green light on the list I have put together.
Some notes - I do not plan on overclocking, I do not plan on Crossfire, I may get a SSD in the future, but that is about it as far as additions.

CPU - Intel i5 3570 Ivy Bridge
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3-SDRAM 1600
HDD - WD 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 6
GPU - Radeon HD 6850 1 GB 256 Bit
Mobo - ASUS P8B75-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

My two big questions, could I get a Corsair 600 Watt and be fine as far as peripheral connectors, other connectors and wattage, and is that mother board going to be a solid choice with the components I have picked out.

Thank you!

Alex

What is your budget and date of purchase? There are some things that could be improved :)

Since you won't be doing any overclocking, and your motherboard isn't really meant for overclocking, I would recommend you to get the i5 3450 or i5 3550.

Also, try squeezing in a little more money (if possible) to get a beefier GPU, such as a Radeon HD7850. If this isn't possible, I would recommend at least a Radeon HD6870 or GTX560 Ti.

A Corsair 600w PSU will do just fine for your rig and have enough connectors.

The Corsair 600W would be fine for your build.
I would suggest the SSD in your initial build - doesn't have to be large, 60GB would do for operating system/boot drive (the speed increase justifies the expense - especially right now, SSD's aren't too expensive).
As far as the motherboard, what is your intended use for the computer? I think both the mobo and GPU might be reconsidered but knowing to what end will help.
Last, I'm going to suggest you post this in the "New Build" section here (they'll be all over this one I think)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html
hope it helped some

Dragh0n

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I would get a Z77 motherboard instead of the B75 as Z77 supports Ivy Bridge and dd3 1600. I would also recommend a 7850/7870 as they use less energy and use the pci-e 3.0 that Z77 supports.

I would say Z77 and PCI-E 3.0 are irrelevant considering OP said he isn't going to consider Multi-GPU configurations or overclocking. His B75 will do all that just fine.

the b75 board in question IS an ivy bridge board(generation 3 is intel boards in the 70's) and it DOES support 1600 ram speed >.<

Dragh0n

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
While it does say that on the box people have reported instability above 1333.. up to you, of course. The B line are boards for businesses who don't need things a gamer would, etc. Good luck. :)

what main difference is there between the boards, OP cannot overclock with the cpu he chose(not much) so there isnt any real reason to go higher. the only reason why one would upgrade into higher end z77 boards is:

A) better crossfire/sli scaling
B) overclocking, starting at 4+2 phases on low end z77 then 8+2 phases on high end
C) Ram overclocking, which almost have no performance gain after 1600
D) extra sata/usb ports which are 100% optional on having more
E) Extra ports that probably over 95% gamers wont use like the 3rd pci-e slot or a thunderbolt port

to someone with a normal build that does not overclock at all or does not crossfire/sli there is almost 0 difference between a b75 board and low end z77 boards because of the limitations already put on every other part of the build.

Dragh0n

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Perhaps the H77 chip-set.
Also, I noticed that you might buy an SSD in the future and that Asus motherboard only has one sata3 slot, which would be used up by the 500gb hard drive.

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
There is a lot of good information in here! To clear up some stuff:

I have a budget of $750
I am never going to SLI (If you look at the benchmarks for this card, what can't it do...I mean realistically)
The processor is already fast.
The HDD from WD I have picked out is SATA 6

Essentially, the two things that I am still up for having switched up are the power supply, motherboard, and processor.

Thanks!