Sign in with
Your question

Fan hook ups.

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2012 12:43:39 PM

I'm getting my parts in today...

From what I can tell online, the ASRock Z77 extreme4 board I'm getting only has 2 - 3pin fan connectors. One on the top of the board as a PCU 3pin connector. I'm assuming I can use that as a fan connector because I'll be using the 4pin connecter right beside it for my i5-3450.

Then there's one more 3pin connector down at the bottom of the board.

I have an Antec Nine Hundred so I have 3 fan connectors.

So what would be the easiest way to fix this problem? I'm going to the computer store in a little bit, I was hoping that I could pick up an adaptor or something before my parts arrive later this morning.

Thanks!

More about : fan hook ups

August 1, 2012 1:06:33 PM

I was looking at the wrong schematic/board.... the extreme4 comes with 2 3pin chassis fan connectors and 1 pcu 3pin connector.

So my question now is can i use the 1 pcu 3pin connector for one of my fans if I'm going to use the 4pin connector for my pcu fan?

Thanks.
m
l
August 1, 2012 1:30:46 PM

do you mean CPU bro? it usually works fine
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2012 3:58:28 PM

I have 3 3pin case fans in the Antec Nine hundred and I only have room for 2 on my mb.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:11:33 PM

Yeah most motherboards will only have 2 - 3 SYS_FAN connectors and the CPU fan connector - the rest you'll have to hook through your power supply. You'll need to get 4-pin to MOLEX adapters which you can get for like $4 at your local Radio Shack.
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:57:19 PM

my question though was that I have 2 extra 3pin "PCU" fan sockets that I'm not using because my pcu is using the 4pin socket..... so If I use these for the case fans i have enough connectors.

Will it matter if i hook my case fans up to the pcu fan connectors on my mother board?
m
l
August 1, 2012 6:58:47 PM

PCU? Do you mean CPU?
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:08:17 PM

if you plug it into the cpu fan, the one downside to it is that the fan will follow the cpu fans speed rather than normal mobo controlled speed.
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:19:00 PM

dudewitbow said:
if you plug it into the cpu fan, the one downside to it is that the fan will follow the cpu fans speed rather than normal mobo controlled speed.

The CPU fan port should only be used for the CPU fan and the reason is that you can control the fan speed through the BIOS in case you decide to overclock and that's really important. The rest of the fans should be plugged into the ports labeled SYS_FAN1, SYS_FAN2, and so on. Any remaining fans are to be connected through your power supply.
m
l
!