Sign in with
Your question

Video card for triple monitor display on Asrock 880GMH/USB3 motherboar

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2012 5:07:43 PM

I have searched everywhere for help with my current problem, my system is as follows: Windows 7 Professional 64bit service pack 1 - Asrock 880GMH/USB3 motherboard - AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor 3.20 GHz -
RAM 8 GB.

The motherboard has 3 onboard video outlets but you can only use 2 at any one time, either the VGA/D-sub and VGA/DVI-D or the VGA/D-sub and the HDMI port.

Can I get a video card for this motherboard that would give me 3 displays all at the same time with different window displays like I have it set up for two displays.

This PC is not for gaming.

All sound advise will be very welcome.

Little Willie in a wet North East

a c 125 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 5:18:17 PM

Hi

What is your budget and current power supply?

Thanks.
June 10, 2012 5:43:53 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi

What is your budget and current power supply?

Thanks.

Thank you very much for replying to my enquiry.

My power supply is 650watts and my budget is as cheep as possible with reliability as the object, I want the triple display for the free Blender Computer Graphics program I'm using, Ive been using the dual display for a few months now and would love to be able to upgrade without getting a new motherboard

Cheers mate.
Little Willie.
Related resources
June 10, 2012 6:03:40 PM

blazorthon said:
Almost any card with at least two total HDMI/DVD ports and one Displayport/mini Displayport should let you use three displays.

IE like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you Blazorthon and I have looked at the card you pointed me in the direction of (HIS iCooler H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card) but I'm not familiar with the Displayport/mini Displayport, the only ports I'm familiar with is the
HDMI/DVD-D/D-Sub ports that are on all my monitors, is there a conversion for the Display Port.

Cheers mate, I have to go out now so will look at any replies tomorrow.

Little Willie.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 9:46:11 PM

Yes, you can buy a Displayport/mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI adapter. In order to use three displays, you must use at least one Displayport if you buy a single GPU graphics card. HDMI/DVI-D need specific lanes to the GPU whereas Displayport is a different technology that does not need these lanes.

GPUs tend to only have two such lanes, so only two HDMI/DVI-D displays can be used directly. DMI and DVI use the exact same digital signaling and lanes. In order for a graphics card to support more than two HDMI/DVI-D displays without a Displayport, it usually must have two GPUs and that's more expensive because usually, only high end GPUs are used in dual GPU cards and that makes them expensive.
June 11, 2012 4:27:17 AM

Thank you Blazorthon.
You have answered my problem very professionally and in language that I understand perfectly so I think the problem is now solved, I will save this answer to my PC and visit the website of my local Computer shop to brows the goods available before going to the shop to buy, then I hope to have all three displays up and running soon if the computer shop has the goods in stock.

A very chuffed Little Willie http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smile.gif
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 4:37:22 AM

Sapphire produces graphics cards that are the FLEX edition. They natively support 3 monitors without displayport. I could have suggested a Sapphire 6770 FLEX but they appear to be out of stock on newegg. The 7750 is a solid choice for 3 monitor productivity. Good Luck
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 5:01:26 AM

Little Willie said:
Thank you Blazorthon.
You have answered my problem very professionally and in language that I understand perfectly so I think the problem is now solved, I will save this answer to my PC and visit the website of my local Computer shop to brows the goods available before going to the shop to buy, then I hope to have all three displays up and running soon if the computer shop has the goods in stock.

A very chuffed Little Willie http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smile.gif

:) 
June 14, 2012 8:05:57 AM

blazorthon said:
Almost any card with at least two total HDMI/DVD ports and one Displayport/mini Displayport should let you use three displays.

IE like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Well blazorthon you have saved me a lot of heartache with the advise from you that I have followed, I bought a Radeon HD 7750 video card which had a Display/D-Sub port converter and I also bought a HDMI/DVI cable to convert one of the monitors that did not have a HDMI socket, I fitted same and loaded in the appropriate AMD driver and it was an instant success.

So Thank you very, very much for your advise.

Little Willie
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 8:48:13 AM

You're welcome.
!