Building my first Windows Gaming Computer/Hackintosh

BambooChief

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Alright guys, I've decided to jump over from the now seemingly dark and seedy "prebuilt computer" world to the sunnier, happier "homebuilt computer" world.

I will be using this computer for gaming (BF3, Crysis 2, GTA, WoW, hoping to try out Witcher) and high school assignments.

The only problem is that I need more opinions on my build list, as this is only my first time :)

CASE - Don't really know much about this field. Right now I have the "Antec Nine Hundred," but if there is something better and/or sexier then please tell me :D

HDD - I've settled on a Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD for my main boot and some of my most used programs (Are ALL SSDs 2.5"? I thought that was the size for laptop hard drives. How am I going to fit a 2.5" SSD into a desktop, where the smallest bay is 3.5"?)

GPU - EVGA Superclocked GTX 680

CPU - i5-3570K (i don't plan on overclocking any time soon so i want good base speeds)

RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

MOBO - Asus P8Z77-V (I don't know much about motherboards, so PLEASE help me out here!!!!)

PSU - I don't have one picked out - I was hoping you guys would help me out :na:

Please leave a comment about what you think! Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Solution
A sexier case? Well thats really personal. As a rule, I recomend Cooler Master and Bitfenix cases. I currently have a Raidmax case, and love it too!

Yes, SSDs are 2.5. That means MORE drives in your system! Get this product as the adapter, if your SSD doesnt come with one:

http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08-3-5-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002BH3Z8E/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_3

Now, I assume you want a silent machine, so check Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU, its really no noise!

Regarding the hackintosh, you have to search online for info, there are websites dedicated to it, make sure everything is compatible.

But honestly amigo, I recomend not building your PC thinking of Hackintosh, build your computer thinking of your gaming exerience, and...

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

A hackintosh isnt hacking or Pirating, He by no means said how he is going to Aquire the MAC OS X OS.

A Hackintosh is a Mac os on a windows machine.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
as far as getting a 2.5" into a 3.5" bay, there are tons of people on ebay who sell adapters, and sometimes the ssd comes with one. I know a lot of kingston ssds come with the adapter, not sure about the crucial

BambooChief

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

What about everything else? How do the rest of the specs look?

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

good to know, just didn't wanna say they did and then he gets stuck with one that didn't come with an adapter haha

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Before I would go out and buy the parts, Make sure they will be compatiable with the BIOS changes your going to make within the PC. You can do this by browsing the Webs, I am not sure the exact site.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest what everyone else seems to say, but if you wanna save a couple of bucks, a gtx 670 would do the trick. It performs pretty close to the 680, and is $100 bucks cheaper. If I were buying, (and you said you intend to overclock...eventually) I would get a gtx 670 instead. Everything else looks like itll work...

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Oh no guys we have a "apprentice" Telling us what to do.... But really who the hell reads the EULA anyways, its not like the PO PO are rushing to your door as soon as you install it

but yea he is kinda right
H. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not
to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to
do so. Except as otherwise permitted by the terms of this License or otherwise licensed by Apple: (i)
only one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software
available over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You
may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008

I may be an "apprentice" on this website but I have years of experience in the real world.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
and really he didnt even ask us to help him "hackintosh" it, he just said, "The only problem is that I need more opinions on my build list, as this is only my first time..." so im not seeing a problem here at all, or any need to call him out

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
A sexier case? Well thats really personal. As a rule, I recomend Cooler Master and Bitfenix cases. I currently have a Raidmax case, and love it too!

Yes, SSDs are 2.5. That means MORE drives in your system! Get this product as the adapter, if your SSD doesnt come with one:

http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08-3-5-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002BH3Z8E/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_3

Now, I assume you want a silent machine, so check Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU, its really no noise!

Regarding the hackintosh, you have to search online for info, there are websites dedicated to it, make sure everything is compatible.

But honestly amigo, I recomend not building your PC thinking of Hackintosh, build your computer thinking of your gaming exerience, and get a Macintosh for your OS X usage. The Magic Mouse sucks for gaming, and any sroll whelled mouse sucks for computer usage (other then gaming)

Solution