Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Antec PSU not working

Last response: in Components
Share
December 15, 2012 3:28:53 PM

I am needing to upgrade my power supply from a 500w Ultra to 900w Antec. My system works fine with the 500w PSU but I plan on upgrading the video and including a tuner. When I connect the new Antec PSU nothing works including the fan in the PSU. Again, the system works fine when I reinstall my old PSU. I tested the Antec PSU per instructions I found on the web, and all of the voltage outputs appear to be correct. Are there PSU's that are not compatible with an ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS mother board. There is nothing on the board other than AMD Quad 4.2 Ghz processor and 8 GB of memory.

More about : antec psu working

December 15, 2012 3:54:54 PM

fastpathfix said:
I am needing to upgrade my power supply from a 500w Ultra to 900w Antec. My system works fine with the 500w PSU but I plan on upgrading the video and including a tuner. When I connect the new Antec PSU nothing works including the fan in the PSU. Again, the system works fine when I reinstall my old PSU. I tested the Antec PSU per instructions I found on the web, and all of the voltage outputs appear to be correct. Are there PSU's that are not compatible with an ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS mother board. There is nothing on the board other than AMD Quad 4.2 Ghz processor and 8 GB of memory.


seems you got a doa (dead on arrival) psu

ring them up/contact customer support about a replacement

before you do have you tried using a paperclip to see if you can start it manually?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 4:59:34 PM

Hi :) 

WHY are you going for a 900 ?

A single graphics card will work fine on a good make 500w....

I run the biggest most power hungry card ever made (7990) and I only run an 850 OCZ...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
December 15, 2012 6:03:07 PM

shanky887614 said:
seems you got a doa (dead on arrival) psu

ring them up/contact customer support about a replacement

before you do have you tried using a paperclip to see if you can start it manually?



Yes I connected pin 15 and 16 with a paperclip and the PSU runs the fan. I also tested the voltage of each pin and they all appear to be good. The motherboard is not smart enough to know I changed out the power supply is it?
m
0
l
December 15, 2012 6:06:53 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

WHY are you going for a 900 ?

A single graphics card will work fine on a good make 500w....

I run the biggest most power hungry card ever made (7990) and I only run an 850 OCZ...

All the best Brett :) 


I used an online calculator to determine the psu size I needed. The calculator result was 807w. The 900w was on sale and I was told the power supply runs cooler when not over worked.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 7:56:01 PM

Did you check the voltage on the green wire before you shorted it to the black to turn on the supply? If its below 4.5 then theres your problem. I stopped using and recommending antec several years ago after running into this several times.
m
0
l
December 15, 2012 9:33:09 PM

popatim said:
Did you check the voltage on the green wire before you shorted it to the black to turn on the supply? If its below 4.5 then theres your problem. I stopped using and recommending antec several years ago after running into this several times.



as you suggested I just did test the green lead prior to shorting it to the black and it is at least 4.5 v the same reading I receive on the PSU that is working. What do you know about the grey lead. The info I have refers to it as Power-OK and is tested for 5VDC by the computer to verify the voltages are within the required range. I assume the system will not start-up or shut down if the voltage is not correct on this lead. I tested this lead prior to shorting the green lead and it is 0 on both the working and non-working PSU. They both measured 5 after shorting the green lead.

Thanks for your help
Wayne

m
0
l
!