fastpathfix

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I am needing to upgrade my power supply from a 500w Ultra to 900w Antec. My system works fine with the 500w PSU but I plan on upgrading the video and including a tuner. When I connect the new Antec PSU nothing works including the fan in the PSU. Again, the system works fine when I reinstall my old PSU. I tested the Antec PSU per instructions I found on the web, and all of the voltage outputs appear to be correct. Are there PSU's that are not compatible with an ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS mother board. There is nothing on the board other than AMD Quad 4.2 Ghz processor and 8 GB of memory.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

seems you got a doa (dead on arrival) psu

ring them up/contact customer support about a replacement

before you do have you tried using a paperclip to see if you can start it manually?

fastpathfix

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Yes I connected pin 15 and 16 with a paperclip and the PSU runs the fan. I also tested the voltage of each pin and they all appear to be good. The motherboard is not smart enough to know I changed out the power supply is it?

fastpathfix

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I used an online calculator to determine the psu size I needed. The calculator result was 807w. The 900w was on sale and I was told the power supply runs cooler when not over worked.

popatim

Titan
Did you check the voltage on the green wire before you shorted it to the black to turn on the supply? If its below 4.5 then theres your problem. I stopped using and recommending antec several years ago after running into this several times.

fastpathfix

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

as you suggested I just did test the green lead prior to shorting it to the black and it is at least 4.5 v the same reading I receive on the PSU that is working. What do you know about the grey lead. The info I have refers to it as Power-OK and is tested for 5VDC by the computer to verify the voltages are within the required range. I assume the system will not start-up or shut down if the voltage is not correct on this lead. I tested this lead prior to shorting the green lead and it is 0 on both the working and non-working PSU. They both measured 5 after shorting the green lead.

Thanks for your help
Wayne