Cat 5 LAN cable to wireless....how?

Rakivic

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I have a new blue-ray player that can be connected to a Cat 5 LAN cable. However it's in the basement and my router is on the main floor. Is there a way I can connect my blue-ray player to my network with out having to run a Cat 5 cable all the way to the basement? Like some type of Cat 5 LAN cable to wireless ataptor.

Sorry if this is noobish but I don't know much about networking.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
All you need to do is get another wireless router and configure it to be an access point (AP). This will allow for the AP to pick up the wireless signal coming from the router upstairs and feed that signal to the Blu-ray player.

I'm assuming the router upstairs is wireless though?

Rakivic

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Yes it is wireless I have been told by a friend I could also use a a universal Wireless adapter

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
You could, but unless you have a free USB port you wouldn't be able to use it. Also, most of the time those USB adapters are very low grade and won't give you the signal strength that you'll need for streaming media. Plus, the cost of an adapter and a router are pretty much the same.

I'd play it safe and get a router, have it pick up the signal and connect it to the player via ethernet.

G

Buy 2 powerline ethernet adapters. plug 1 in between the power cord of your router and the wall connection.
make a straigt ( not cross ) connection to it from one of the router's outputs.

plug 1 in between the wall connection and your blueray. Make a straight connection between the last one and the blueray.

These adapters use your electrical wiring to transport the internet. Data rate is something like 33Mbps i think.
Hope this helps you ...