What constitutes a good CPU temperature?

Just wondering, according to Razer Gamebooster my CPU runs at 17 degrees when idle and at around 40-45ish when running games. Is this decent, and if not, what can I do to cool my CPU down? I don't want it getting too hot.

Many thanks, I'm a PC newbie and any answer is appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about what constitutes good temperature
  1. What processor do you have? What's the ambient temperature (of the room the computer is in)?
  2. 17 degrees and 45 load are excellent temperatures....almost too excellent. Is this air cooling?
  3. 17C = 62.6F
    Ambient temp would have to be 16C (60.8F) or lower....which would make for a pretty cold room.

I would find something else to read temps....like RealTemp or CoreTemp.
  4. Hi :)

As implied above...its NOT running at 17c... not unless you live with Santa...lol

All the best Brett :)
  5. Only I can run at 17 degrees because I am one of Santa's elves ! :D
  6. Well, I live in England so that's pretty impossible. But I do keep the heating off in the room where my PC is, it's usually about 5 degrees.

I just tested it with RealTemp, here are the temperatures. At the time of testing I had this webpage, TeamSpeak 3, a small fps game called Sauerbraten, and Steam open.

Are these decent? And if not, what can I do to make them better?

My CPU is an Intel i5 3570K (non-overclocked), and I have four case fans and a Xigmatek Apache heatsink. I suppose I could try to mount an extra fan if it would help.
  7. Any load temp below 65C is acceptable for Intel processors. Idle temps aren't so much a concern.
  8. Oh alright, thanks :P
  9. Similar temps to my 3570k i've only got one pull fan and stock cooling though
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Temperature Razer