Sign in with
Your question

Is pus coil whine dangerous

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 3:56:44 PM

Hi guys

Recently noticed after moving my computer that my psu was making a faint but noticeable whining noise when bench marking or playing games. and I was curious if this is dangerous in terms of fire or damaging the computer. To be honest I can't hear it at all when my headphones or speakers are on so I am happy to live with it but if it is a hazard I will replace it.

The psu is a corsair builder series 600W powering an i5 2500K normal clocks and a gtx 670 normal clocks which.

cheers
December 15, 2012 4:00:30 PM

euansharp said:
Hi guys

Recently noticed after moving my computer that my psu was making a faint but noticeable whining noise when bench marking or playing games. and I was curious if this is dangerous in terms of fire or damaging the computer. To be honest I can't hear it at all when my headphones or speakers are on so I am happy to live with it but if it is a hazard I will replace it.

The psu is a corsair builder series 600W powering an i5 2500K normal clocks and a gtx 670 normal clocks which.

cheers

are you sure its the psu. any fans can make a similar noise. had it myself but couldnt get rid of it. turned out it wasnt the psu. (well i mean the psu was drowing out another)
December 15, 2012 4:12:22 PM

Coil Whine is not dangerous at all, it's just annoying as ***.

When my system gets down to a lower temperature, I start to hear coil whine from capacitors, as it warms up the frequency of the coil whine changes where it become inaudible.

Again, restatement. Coil Whine is simply an annoyance and poses no danger.
December 15, 2012 4:23:25 PM

Thanks glad to hear that was worried I might be frying something inside the machine.
!