MrSethward

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: 2 x Gigabyte N670 OC 2GD (in SLI)
MOBO: ASRock Extreme6 Z77
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600 (2x4gb) PURCHASED ($45)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply PURCHASED ($98)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 PURCHASED ($130)
SSD: Patriot Pyro SE 120gb PURCHASED ($100)

I am looking to purchase a MOBO and the 3570k together from Microcenter, which would make the Extreme6 sell for $130, and the 3570k at $190. This seems like a good deal to me, and from research on the Extreme6, it seems to be a good mid-range board. However, I am new at this, are there significant differences between boards when running two GPUs in SLI? Last, from looking at Tom's' reviews of the 670s, I settled on the Gigabyte. However, it seems there is no real consensus between it and the DirectCu II or even the 670 FTW. I would just like to know if there are any differences between them when it comes to running two cards in SLI. Other suggestions are also greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree with this. You can use the money saved to get a nice monitor or use it elsewhere.

There's no real noticeable difference between the Extreme 4 and Extreme 6 other than the Extreme 6 includes front USB 3.0. But you already have the Switch 810 which includes that anyways, no need to buy the same part twice.

For $130 the extreme6 is a great deal. It's a full size ATX and has larger heat sinks than the smaller extreme4. The extreme4 is a great budget board but it doesn't hit all the standoffs due to it's size which in turn makes it a bit flimsy.

Also those Gigabyte 670's can be a bit flimsy due to no back plate but the EVGA back plate on newegg fits those cards just fine. So if they seem too flimsy once you get them mounted then go for that back plate.