Sign in with
Your question

Two laptops, two bad fans??

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 5:06:28 PM

We had a house fire last week, and lost everything. We purchased two used laptops, from two separate people to help with looking up replacement costs of personal property for insurance. The CPU fans don't seem to be running in either one. One is running really hot, the other seems to be okay most of the time. SpeedFan reports:

Acer Aspire 5315, Windows Vista - HDD - 44C; Temp 1 - 55C; Core 55C - while installing Windows updates, Google searches, and uninstalling a program.

Toshiba Satellite L505D0-ES2505, Windows 7 - HDD 35C; Temp1 94C; Core 99C - Facebook loaded, but sitting idle, Google searches, and writing this forum question.

The Toshiba, I can hear the fan kick on and off during start up, but never hear it again. The Acer (with much lower temps!) we never hear it kick on, ever. Both have cooling pads running underneath them. Without the cooling pad, the Toshiba shuts down every few minutes, it at least stays on with the cooling pad.

My question is, do we need to replace the fan in the Acer, since it doesn't appear to be working, even though the temps don't get very high (this computer has other issues - very SLOW, freezes from time to time, etc)? I can replace the fan in the Toshiba, but am having trouble finding the one I need - any website recommended?

I'm also confused why one runs so much hotter than the other??

More about : laptops bad fans

a b D Laptop
December 15, 2012 7:34:04 PM

The acer uses a celeron procvessor speced at 18.5w max. Heat shouldnt be much of an issue there which is why the fan might be so quiet since you say you can feel the heat coming out.

I cant find specs on that toshiba as toshibe nor google have heard of that model number. I would defnitely take it apart, if you're technically inclined, and clean the cooler and replace the fan if its truely bad and not just clogged.
m
l
December 16, 2012 12:51:07 AM

popatim said:
The acer uses a celeron procvessor speced at 18.5w max. Heat shouldnt be much of an issue there which is why the fan might be so quiet since you say you can feel the heat coming out.

I cant find specs on that toshiba as toshibe nor google have heard of that model number. I would defnitely take it apart, if you're technically inclined, and clean the cooler and replace the fan if its truely bad and not just clogged.

Thanks, that would make sense on the Acer, I've never seen one that quiet before!

And, I apologize for my typo, the Toshiba Satellite is L505D-ES5025.

Thanks.
m
l
!