Computer won't turn on?

so i was using my computer as usual and suddenly i saw a spark inside the case and the whole desktop shut down. the power light on the motherboard is still on but i can't get the computer back up (occasionally the CPU fan will whir for a half-second and then turn off). i'm planning to look for burn marks on the mobo tomorrow but does anyone have any other ideas for me? thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about computer turn
  1. It is important to find the source for the spark before trying to run it again, something else might fail.
  2. If there was a spark inside the case then then theres a good chance it was the motherboard which may have also take out the power supply. You can test the powersupply somewhat while its disconnected from the motherboard and I would say thats your first step. The real question is, how much do you have to spend as this may lead to nearly a new build. ie - if the motherbd is fried you may need a new mobo, ram, cpu, gpu ....
  3. well i have a basically unlimited budget- i was gonna start replacing nearly everything except the mobo and CPU (new ram, second video card, new PSU, new case, new CPU cooler). the only thing is that i have an i7 920 so finding an X58 mobo is gonna be a little hard
  4. i guess my question is, if there was a spark, what are the chances that it ruined everything the PSU was hooked up to?
  5. Do not know without trying the components.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Components