Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't turn on?

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 5:18:44 PM

so i was using my computer as usual and suddenly i saw a spark inside the case and the whole desktop shut down. the power light on the motherboard is still on but i can't get the computer back up (occasionally the CPU fan will whir for a half-second and then turn off). i'm planning to look for burn marks on the mobo tomorrow but does anyone have any other ideas for me? thanks!

More about : computer turn

a c 715 ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 5:26:17 PM

It is important to find the source for the spark before trying to run it again, something else might fail.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 6:46:09 PM

If there was a spark inside the case then then theres a good chance it was the motherboard which may have also take out the power supply. You can test the powersupply somewhat while its disconnected from the motherboard and I would say thats your first step. The real question is, how much do you have to spend as this may lead to nearly a new build. ie - if the motherbd is fried you may need a new mobo, ram, cpu, gpu ....
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 1:10:49 AM

well i have a basically unlimited budget- i was gonna start replacing nearly everything except the mobo and CPU (new ram, second video card, new PSU, new case, new CPU cooler). the only thing is that i have an i7 920 so finding an X58 mobo is gonna be a little hard
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:24:49 AM

i guess my question is, if there was a spark, what are the chances that it ruined everything the PSU was hooked up to?
m
l
a c 715 ) Power supply
December 16, 2012 2:42:18 AM

Do not know without trying the components.
m
l
!