Happauge 1600 wont let pc restart gets stuck before hdd identifying

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hello all I have a perplexing situation My Hauppauge Tuner will keep my pc from restarting, somtimes it keeps it from getting a video signal at all, most times it freezes before it (the bios) checks the memory or HDD's if i hit the restart button 6 or8 times it might start and work fine, sometimes it starts and the tv tuner is absent from device manager,sometimes it freezes at the windows flag screen, if I remove the card the PC starts and runs fine. shut it down and re-install the card the next day and its fine until l restart, and as you know you have to restart windows every time you fart. I've tried different slots,I tried the card in a friends PC it worked fine, I'm watching tv on it now it,s working fine god forbid i install anything and have to restart, Oh yea it wont let the PC wake from sleep either I tried that too.. any thoughts Thanks :cry:

Asus M2n32- SLI Deluxe Wifi Amd Anthlon 64 X2 6000+3.0mhz, 6GB Ocz Platinum ddr2 800,OCZ Mod Extreme 750watt PSU 2-1TB Western Digital Black HDD\'s
MSI NT8800 OC Happuage 1600 TV tuner,and some other stuff (º¿º)

i would make sure that the 17 bios updates are done. one of them was for video cards. when i worked as a tech in a computer store a few years ago we found out that most of these hangs were from the video card and the capture card trying to use the same irq on some older mb. if you dont use the com ports or printer ports try turning them off to free up an irq.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

yes I have the latest bios, i will try disabling the ports on tomorrows start up, I dont use the printer or coms , but untill a month ago this thing worked great, I have had it since 09 I have had to remove it 2 or 3 times over the last 3 years and put it in the other pci slot but it always worked fine after that. Maybe its just getting old , I have also put a fan on it and it isn't hot to the touch, Thanks for replying Ill update as I go.

bat123man

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Hi,

I have an Asus P5n-E with a 6420 core2duo o'ced at 3.0 GHz. I also run an Hauppauge 1600 on Win7 64-bit. I have more or less the same problem. I initially thought the 1600 was preventing my computer from restarting, but it wasn't. The 4 colours which come from the distance to form the Win7 splash screen logo would freeze before they got entirely to the screen, and the computer would be completely unresponsive. The mouse icon could not be moved. I had to hard restart a few times before I finally managed to get it to properly boot. Even then, Win7 would offer to Repair, or come up with some nasty boot error which I had to fix.

After working on it for a while, I discovered that the boot actually was hanging, but was not entirely hung. After 6-10 minutes, the 4 colours would start moving again and the computer would successfully complete the startup. I was pretty startled the first time it happened because I had been hard-killing the boot over and over, which was undoubtedly not healthy for my machine. Since I realized it was a timed hang, I have let it do that on every subsequent boot, and it always recovers. I have been trying to use the Win 7 Event viewer advanced options to try to help troubleshoot, but they were only confirming that my boot sequence was taking a very long time, and was hanging for 360K ms (6 mins) on average.

I pulled the 1600 as a test, and the very next boot did the same thing. Since I hadn't uninstalled the card before simply pulling it, that was Windows trying to load the device drivers. Every subsequent boot was back to normal with no pausing, and no ill effects. Win7 in my case is installed on an Intell SSD.

So my advice to you, boot up, and then go and get a coffee and see what happens after a full 10 mins on your next startup freeze. For me, the Hauppauge worked perfectly when I did that, and I noticed no other ill effect. I installed the latest drivers from the Hauppauge site, but that changed nothing. For now I am putting up with it because it only costs me an extra 6 mins to have a perfectly functioning machine, but if I ever find the solution, I'll post.

DD.