Sign in with
Your question

Has my PSU just died?

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 6:45:47 PM

Hello, I recently built a PC(about a week ago) and just last night in the midst of an Arma 2 session. My computer abruptly shut off. And would not restart....

I took a look inside and everything seems to be plugged in fine, there is no dust and nothing seems to be wrong anywhere. Also might mention that the PSU was not hot WHAT so ever.

Please help. :( 

More about : psu died

a c 260 ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 9:31:03 PM

Connorwarman_12 said:
Hello, I recently built a PC(about a week ago) and just last night in the midst of an Arma 2 session. My computer abruptly shut off. And would not restart....

I took a look inside and everything seems to be plugged in fine, there is no dust and nothing seems to be wrong anywhere. Also might mention that the PSU was not hot WHAT so ever.

Please help. :( 

Hi - the way you describe it, seems likely that it died, but could be a whole variety
of causes as well. What brand & model PSU is it?

This is very time consuming, but you should try this from Hardware Secrets
before just replacing the PSU:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/What-to-Do-If-Yo...

Tom
a b ) Power supply
December 15, 2012 10:21:44 PM

If there was a burned strange smell in your room, then your PSU got fried. I tried it myself, and it took almost everything inside the desktop with it.

It could also be some other components that have been overheating, it's hard to tell. If you got another desktop then you could try putting each piece of hardware one by one inside the other, and then you could be 100% sure what is wrong.

I hope you'll figure it out and if you don't,then I really hope you got warranty, mate!
!