Should I replace my CPU Cooler?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 970BE CPU currently running at 3.8GHZ, but to make up for the loss of performance due to age I would like to go a little further, possibly 4GHZ+.

My Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2 is good at keeping temps low on stock clocks, but I don't want the temps to go any higher. Considering that I would like to possibly reach for about 4.2GHZ, what will the following two things actually do?

A) I have a CM Storm Scout case and I am about to fit two red LED 120mm fans on the window, blowing air at my GPU and CPU. These will both be pumping about 50CFM of air, will that help my CPU temps decrease, and if so, by how much?

B) The Arctic is a £15 cooler that outperforms many £20-£25 coolers. But, for serious overclocking, should I consider a different cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 412S. It has favourable reviews but how much of a difference will I see going from my Arctic?

Many Thanks
Luke

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
So the 412S would be fine for 4GHZ, but anywhere over that and temps might start increasing. I'll see what happens after installing the two fans, then make my decision.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Go ahead and get custom water cooling, it's very awesome. Go here to get some cool water cooling things. If you don't have that much money you can go look at their kits.

If you really are limited on how much you can spend go ahead and buy a Hyper 212 Evo.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Okay, I may go for watercooling kits, I'm in the UK but is this one any good?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-040-OE&groupid=962&catid=1532&subcat=

Also, the Hyper 412S is meant to be better than the 212 EVO, so it should be pretty good, right?