Display not always working with added grahics card

ArcadeZero

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hello, I recently bought a new video card, and for a while everything was working fine. But as time goes on it seems to not want to connect to my display. The fans are running and the card will work perfectly, but when i shut the computer off and try to turn in back on, i have a hell of a time getting it to work again. my graphics card is a EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, bought from newegg. Not sure about the specs on the motherboard or anything like that, the video card was the only thing I replaced. my computer is a dell xps 8300, bought almost a year ago. Sometimes the only way i can get a picture is by plugging the hdmi back into the integrated video slot, but people have told me that shouldn't even be activated, though i have no idea how to turn it off. Its connected to a 40 inch lcd tv, with an hdmi cable, but through a mini hdmi adapter which plugs into the video card itself. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

ArcadeZero

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I've tried but I cant seem to figure out how to get into the BIOS, i go into the setup when its turning on but I don't see any options for changing anything relating to the video card or display.

ArcadeZero

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I can get into the setup, but there is nothing in the setup menu at all relating to display or graphics of any kind. I asked a guy at work and he said that since my motherboard was factory, that setting cannot be changed unless i reset the whole BIOS system. is there anything in the control panel that would allow me to change which video card is set to default?

ArcadeZero

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
First off i want to say thanks for responding. Ok, so it seems to be completely random after i turn my pc off and back on whether it wants to run the new card or not. the card runs; its seated correctly, the fan is running all of that, and i do nothing in between when it works and when it doesn't. I cannot get into any of the bios settings that you are describing, they just simply aren't there. I cannot find in my device manger anything that has to do with video cards or pci-e or anything like that, and the same goes when i try to look for something in the nvidia control panel.

keep in mind that my pc is facotry, not custom built and has all the default components save for the video card and a new power supply. the model is a dell xps 8300. for now ive just elected to never shut the computer off, since thats when the problems arise. sometimes the only way it will work is when i plug the hdmi into the onboard, it simply refuses to display anything when connected to the 480. I only have 1 slot to put a video card in, if that makes a difference, this is really starting to piss me off.