Sign in with
Your question

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Real Quick Question...

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 7:55:00 PM

Hey, Just been wondering. I just watched a review and apperantly this is a really good CPU cooler, I Also heard that my mobo or case or something needs to have a cutout to mount it or something, With that being said Im wondering if these parts will do.

Case - Haf 922
Processor - Intel i7 3rd gen 3770k
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Fan - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

Just wondering if it will all work, im a first time building and leave my computer on all the time :p 
December 15, 2012 7:59:09 PM

You do not need a cutout in the motherboard tray unless you are adding the HSF at a later date and you do not want to remove the motherboard from the tray. It's simply an ease of access thing. It should all work well if not expecting wonders from the CPU. For a mild to average overclock on the 3770k, the Hyper 212 (EVO) should work fine.
December 15, 2012 8:18:27 PM

C12Friedman said:
You do not need a cutout in the motherboard tray unless you are adding the HSF at a later date and you do not want to remove the motherboard from the tray. It's simply an ease of access thing. It should all work well if not expecting wonders from the CPU. For a mild to average overclock on the 3770k, the Hyper 212 (EVO) should work fine.

So it will all work fine? I just wanna overclock every 6 months or so just to test it out.
Related resources
December 15, 2012 9:20:54 PM

Since C12Friedman isn't available, I guess I'll answer on his behalf.

The Hyper 212 will work fine without the case cutout in the motherboard area. As C12friedman stated, its just placed for convenience. Since you do not have it you will need to take out the motherboard from the computer case and install the backplate once away from the case. Your current case doesn't have the cutout which means you cannot access the back of the motherboard to change the mounting mechanism on that board.

In addition, he also states the Hyper 212 is not the best cooler but it can achieve a decent overclock. If you want extreme overclocking then turn to high end air cooling or custom water cooling.

Also what exactly do you mean when you want to "overclock every 6 months" ?
December 15, 2012 9:44:52 PM

perhaps, like me, his computer room is neither cooled nor heated. I have to turn off OC during the warm summer months but I can get some really good ones out of my P2x6 during the cold winters. Hahahaha.

ps - adding a second fan to the evo turns this little beast into a much better cooler.
December 15, 2012 9:47:56 PM

^Makes sense why one would need to turn off the overclock
My phenom II X4 955 Black edition makes my room a furnace in the summer and takes quite long for the air conditioning to cool my room. Though in the winter it helps keep my room warm which is nice for me :lol: 
December 15, 2012 9:53:15 PM

I have an EVO on my 3770k clocked at 4Ghz (with dual CM fans running at 5V) and under full load with 8 threads I have never seen 65 C. Its super quiet and those temps are only seen when benchmarking. At normal fan speeds it stays under 60C. I highly recommend that cooler. For the money, it can't be beat.
December 15, 2012 10:01:21 PM

so.. someone link me a cooler ^_^ unless the stock cooler will be just fine =/ I leave my computer on a lot. and at times will do 18 hour gaming sessions.
December 15, 2012 10:07:27 PM

Meh, technically the stock cooler is enough for stock clocks but if your room is a furnace always then it might be wise to get the 212 + / evo.

Here is a link my friend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Do yourself a favour by not rushing the rebate form and making sure everything is accurate so you get your $10 back.
December 15, 2012 10:14:29 PM

My room is a furnace, I live in Southern California, and the room where my computers are doesn't have any air conditioning nor heat. and its right above a garage so i get all the heat from the cars etc. My room is about 80 degrees F(27 degrees C) on average... ):
December 15, 2012 10:17:27 PM

Holy Cr*p, 27 degrees! I'd be sweating all the time with temperatures like that....

Best if you do get the cooler, at least it will deal with the heat the processor withstands on top of the ambient temperature.
December 15, 2012 10:25:50 PM

So it will fit in my case? That think is as big as godzilla... haha
December 15, 2012 10:38:04 PM

Wait the HAF 922 is your case? Then I believe there is already a cut out, just boils down if the motherboard will be aligned with the cut out. Regardless of that, the HAF 922 will be able to fit the Hyper 212 with ease.
December 15, 2012 10:42:22 PM

yup my case is the haf 922

Btw much appreciation for your help, you always help a lot and its great!
December 15, 2012 10:44:23 PM

My pleasure :) 
December 15, 2012 10:57:12 PM

so it will all fit and work out! like i said im a first time builder/buyer!

Is there really any difference between stock cooler and 3rd party?
December 15, 2012 11:01:49 PM

Yes it will fit even if you have a side panel fan it still would fit.
Now stock coolers are meant for stock clocks, for overclocking they are no good. Aftermarket coolers are specialized for quiet cooling and are generally much better than stock cooler because they can keep the processor cooler than the stock cooler most of the time (depends on what aftermarket cooler you buy).
!