Help, video card problem?

Hello,

I am having display issues while playing BF1942. In certain
situations, the color temporarily changes when say firing a wespe or
being attacked by a plane while firing a tank. Occasionally, the
screen momentarily whites out when I'm in a bunker and it is bombed.
Is this a problem with my video card or some other problem? The
problem only occurs when playing on-line but not against bots.
System works fine otherwise, only gives this problem during
Battlefield 1942

System specs
2.4- P4
768 MB RDRAM
ATI 9800 Pro video card

Battlefield 1942 settings:

Display 1240x768x32@72
Graphics high
Effects high

Thanks for any assistance!

Best,

Rick
[AGB] Duckhunter

More about help video card problem

    In article <qn1r51d4h1cblutvb55o08ga93m2uq9btr@4ax.com>, rnorell@
    1west.net says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am having display issues while playing BF1942. In certain
    > situations, the color temporarily changes when say firing a wespe or
    > being attacked by a plane while firing a tank. Occasionally, the
    > screen momentarily whites out when I'm in a bunker and it is bombed.
    > Is this a problem with my video card or some other problem? The
    > problem only occurs when playing on-line but not against bots.
    > System works fine otherwise, only gives this problem during
    > Battlefield 1942
    >
    > System specs
    > 2.4- P4
    > 768 MB RDRAM
    > ATI 9800 Pro video card
    >
    > Battlefield 1942 settings:
    >
    > Display 1240x768x32@72
    > Graphics high
    > Effects high
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance!
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Rick
    > [AGB] Duckhunter

    have you recently updated your video card drivers? are you using
    official ATI drivers?

    /CF

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:55:01 -0400, Colonel_Flagg
    <colonel_flagg@_NOSOUPFORJ00_internetwarzone.org> wrote:

    >In article <qn1r51d4h1cblutvb55o08ga93m2uq9btr@4ax.com>, rnorell@
    >1west.net says...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am having display issues while playing BF1942. In certain
    >> situations, the color temporarily changes when say firing a wespe or
    >> being attacked by a plane while firing a tank. Occasionally, the
    >> screen momentarily whites out when I'm in a bunker and it is bombed.
    >> Is this a problem with my video card or some other problem? The
    >> problem only occurs when playing on-line but not against bots.
    >> System works fine otherwise, only gives this problem during
    >> Battlefield 1942
    >>
    >> System specs
    >> 2.4- P4
    >> 768 MB RDRAM
    >> ATI 9800 Pro video card
    >>
    >> Battlefield 1942 settings:
    >>
    >> Display 1240x768x32@72
    >> Graphics high
    >> Effects high
    >>
    >> Thanks for any assistance!
    >>
    >> Best,
    >>
    >> Rick
    >> [AGB] Duckhunter

    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    >>

    >have you recently updated your video card drivers? are you using
    >official ATI drivers?

    I installed the card last June and installed the latest catalyst
    drivers at that time. I have not updated the drivers since the card
    has been working perfectly (until last couple weeks). Any other
    thoughts? Should I update the drivers?

    Thanks Colonel Flagg!

    Best,

    Rick
    [AGB] Duckhunter

    Rick wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am having display issues while playing BF1942. In certain
    > situations, the color temporarily changes when say firing a wespe or
    > being attacked by a plane while firing a tank. Occasionally, the
    > screen momentarily whites out when I'm in a bunker and it is bombed.
    > Is this a problem with my video card or some other problem? The
    > problem only occurs when playing on-line but not against bots.
    > System works fine otherwise, only gives this problem during
    > Battlefield 1942
    >
    > System specs
    > 2.4- P4
    > 768 MB RDRAM
    > ATI 9800 Pro video card
    >
    > Battlefield 1942 settings:
    >
    > Display 1240x768x32@72
    > Graphics high
    > Effects high
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance!
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Rick
    > [AGB] Duckhunter

    your card is merely being overwhelmed in high pixel count situations.
    bf42 explosions are very fast high poly events. and your cpu is more of
    a bottleneck and the low ram as well. that system has about six months
    max before it wont play new games at a level worth bothering with. as
    far as BF2 goes well you could play it I guess at like 800x600 with
    medium settings I'm guessing.
    OC
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    In article <8ucr51tn020gthbjsvdqh45p2f5cf73sm8@4ax.com>, rnorell@
    1west.net says...
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:55:01 -0400, Colonel_Flagg
    > <colonel_flagg@_NOSOUPFORJ00_internetwarzone.org> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <qn1r51d4h1cblutvb55o08ga93m2uq9btr@4ax.com>, rnorell@
    > >1west.net says...
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> I am having display issues while playing BF1942. In certain
    > >> situations, the color temporarily changes when say firing a wespe or
    > >> being attacked by a plane while firing a tank. Occasionally, the
    > >> screen momentarily whites out when I'm in a bunker and it is bombed.
    > >> Is this a problem with my video card or some other problem? The
    > >> problem only occurs when playing on-line but not against bots.
    > >> System works fine otherwise, only gives this problem during
    > >> Battlefield 1942
    > >>
    > >> System specs
    > >> 2.4- P4
    > >> 768 MB RDRAM
    > >> ATI 9800 Pro video card
    > >>
    > >> Battlefield 1942 settings:
    > >>
    > >> Display 1240x768x32@72
    > >> Graphics high
    > >> Effects high
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any assistance!
    > >>
    > >> Best,
    > >>
    > >> Rick
    > >> [AGB] Duckhunter

    > >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > >> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
    > >>

    > >have you recently updated your video card drivers? are you using
    > >official ATI drivers?
    >
    > I installed the card last June and installed the latest catalyst
    > drivers at that time. I have not updated the drivers since the card
    > has been working perfectly (until last couple weeks). Any other
    > thoughts? Should I update the drivers?
    >
    > Thanks Colonel Flagg!
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Rick
    > [AGB] Duckhunter

    i would update the drivers first. you should always try to stay
    relatively current with the drivers, i usually wait around a week or two
    after the release of a new set of drivers, then update my own.

    i'd say we've seen 4 or 5 driver updates since you installed the card.

    /CF

Graphics Cards Video Games Displays