Squeashy/whiny noise comming from the back of the case.

mortenfc

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
EDIT title: Squeaky* :p

Hello!

I've just built a pc with these specs:

CPU:
AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - 3.60GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo

Motherboard:
Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P Rev. 4.0

RAM:
G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 Dual Kit - Red
(4GB x 2)

Video Card:
Sapphire 11179-09-20G HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Storage:
Sandisk Extreme 120 GB SSD

Optical Drive:
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare

PowerSupply:
CORSAIR CX 600W V2 ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V PSU

Case:
Sharkoon T28 ATX Midi Tower - Blue

Cooling:
Stock Cooler Included with CPU

From the back of my case there is comming a low whiny/squeaky sound which must be the System Fan, the CPU fan or the Graphics Fan. I believe it's the CPU fan, 'cause in games, over longer durations and sometines when scrolling, the sound becomes louder. But there doesn't seem to be any small hole to put in the oil behind the tape at the stock cooler so I tried oil it in the opening at the middle side without luck.

My question is: What do you guys think makes the noise and how do I oil it without damaging anything to fix the maddening sound? CBA to use hours on figuring it all out myself and can't find any guides on da net.

Thanks!!!

you shouldnt need to lube any of the fans. most fans are either plastic sleeved or use a bearing which should require no maintenance.

are you sure it is not the northbridge fan? that little fan on the motherboard can be the most irritating sound when it has issues and it is known to have issues on brand new components once in awhile.

you need to have the side of your case off and try and locate the sound better.

mortenfc

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Sorry, what is a northbridge fan and where is it placed? I have tried opening the case and listen to the whining but its basically the same at the CPU stock cooler and the cooler at the back.

I don't think I have any fan on my gigabyte motherboard

But if it is the northbridge thingy that has problems does it mean I need a better mobo with newer AMD chipset or what?

http://www.google.com/search?q=nortrhbridge+fan&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&sa=X&ei=UD8aUJntA5Ow8ASDtIGgCw&ved=0CFMQvwUoAQ&q=northbridge+fan&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4c682113b7e1b4cf&biw=1035&bih=634

they are small fans on the motherboard. not all motherboards have them. some rely on heatpipe and a radiator (series of fins) to use ambient airflow for cooling.

by cooler at the rear do you mean the video card cooler, psu fan or rear fan?

you should be able to tell if it is the psu fan or not by having your head to the rear (outside) the case and listening. if you wanted to completely isolate it you could disconnect everything and turn it on and see but that normally is not required.

disconnect the rear case fan temporarily from the molex connector or fan connection on the motherboard (dont add or remove while the system power is on, flip the switch on the psu off first!). see if the noise goes away. if not, turn the fan back on.

perhaps the cpu fan is bad. or failing. sounds odd but i've seen stranger. if you have the psu completely disconnected from the system you can plug the fan into a molex to 3 pin adapter and see if its making any noise.

--

to me a whiney noise with a little bit of squishy whirring sounds like a fan issue. the normal culprits are northbridge fans, video card fans and cheap case fans. however if you check these and the issue remains you should check the rest. isolate one at a time and check. ideally you would check the psu first and while unplugged from the pc components proceed to check the cpu fan and case fans. if all of them are fine then hook everything back up and see if you can isolate it as the video card fan or not.

does your pc have integrated video onboard the motherboard? if so while the pc is off you can remove the video card completely temporarily and see if the sound goes away when you power up.

---

no, the northbridge fan is just a fan and doesnt affect hardware. you can replace it but most people just rma the board. to keep the warranty intact. we havent isolated it to a source yet so dont take action until you know exactly what the problem is.

mortenfc

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
By cooler at the rear I mean the case fan. The could also be comming from the PSU. But for some reason when I unplug the case fan from mobo and molex adapter a loud whiney noise comes when it boots.
Ill try isolate the PSU, thanks.

mortenfc

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I found the source of the squeaking! And it was the cpu fan that caused it (I tried screwing it off the heatsink and booting up = no whining!)

Now my question is, do you know how to fix it or should I send it back with the warranty?

since you just bought the cpu you do have the option of an RMA to get another stock cooler. however, this is a bit of an irritant and you could just buy an aftermarket cooler for a decent price and not worry about it. i dont feel it is worth trying to fix it.

perhaps intel or newegg will ship you a new heatsink instead of having you return it and wait a week. you have to ask.

at least you figured out what the noise was coming from.

mortenfc

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
yep I did thanks to you. But I live in EU so Im gonna ask amazon UK instead of newegg :) Thanks a lot.

Unfortunatly I don't see a way to mark a best answer, but I gave you a thumbs up.