Sign in with
Your question

Problem with CPU Cooling.

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2012 10:30:04 PM

Hello,
I recently purchased an AMD FX-4170 (Despite criticism i personally think its a good gaming CPU), and the Xigmatek Prime cooling Heatsink and fan. I wanted to test out my new CPU by playing Planetside 2 on full specs, after 5 minutes of gameplay my system automatically without warning, switches itself off... Immediately i am baffled. I later found out that my CPU was rising to temperatures beyond 100 degrees Celcius.

Now if the heatsink was not connected properly then the CPU would have fried (i'm guessing). and the Cooling fans are operational. So i don't know what the problem is ?

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

AMD FX-4170
AMD HD Radeon 7870
8GB Transcend RAM
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Zalman Z11 Case

More about : problem cpu cooling

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2012 10:47:59 PM

DL4ADX said:
Hello,
I recently purchased an AMD FX-4170 (Despite criticism i personally think its a good gaming CPU), and the Xigmatek Prime cooling Heatsink and fan. I wanted to test out my new CPU by playing Planetside 2 on full specs, after 5 minutes of gameplay my system automatically without warning, switches itself off... Immediately i am baffled. I later found out that my CPU was rising to temperatures beyond 100 degrees Celcius.

Now if the heatsink was not connected properly then the CPU would have fried (i'm guessing). and the Cooling fans are operational. So i don't know what the problem is ?

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

AMD FX-4170
AMD HD Radeon 7870
8GB Transcend RAM
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Zalman Z11 Case

Did you use the coolers thermal compound? or did you buy your own?
December 15, 2012 10:49:53 PM

DComander1x said:
Did you use the coolers thermal compound? or did you buy your own?

The computer was assembled by a gaming website, but if i had to guess, they would use the Compound that came with the cooler.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2012 10:51:47 PM

I believe the CPU did not fry but instead its shut off due to the overheating shut down which is used to prevent the processor from damage. Since you bought this pre-built you should contact whomever you bought the computer from, if you alter the computer yourself, you may void warranty....
December 15, 2012 11:02:14 PM

socialfox said:
I believe the CPU did not fry but instead its shut off due to the overheating shut down which is used to prevent the processor from damage. Since you bought this pre-built you should contact whomever you bought the computer from, if you alter the computer yourself, you may void warranty....

Thank you for the reply.
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2012 11:04:17 PM

You are welcome :) 

Make sure to contact the manufacturer of your build and they should fix it. Most likely they did not install the cooler right or no thermal paste...or it could even be a dead fan. If you find the problem out they will send you a replacement part for you to swap out yourself.
!