Sign in with
Your question

How to 4 Displays HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2012 5:26:42 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 8300 with a Radeon HD 6870. I have 2x 23" ASUS VH232H monitors, 1x 19" Samsung LCD, and 1x Samsung LN32B360 32" TV.

I would like to configure the displays so that they extend across all 4 of these. I would really only use the 3 monitors, but I would like the TV plugged into HDMI so that I can output sound to the TV via the HDMI connection.

Otherwise I would have the 3 monitors lined up like... 19" then the 2x 23".

I was wondering how I could pull this off? Do you split the DVI connection so that you plug 2 monitors into a splitter into the computer? Or do you use DVI to Display Port?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&...

I saw those. Can I plug TV into HDMI, the 2x 23" into the 2x DVI, and then the Samsung 19" Syncmaster into the Display Port using one of those adapters?

Thanks to those able to help in advance!

More about : displays 6870

a b C Monitor
June 11, 2012 5:47:46 AM

I don't an HD 6870 can output to 4 displays at once. However, you can hook up the TV with analog connections if you want only sound.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 11, 2012 5:59:06 AM

Sunius said:
I don't an HD 6870 can output to 4 displays at once. However, you can hook up the TV with analog connections if you want only sound.

This. Also you must use an active display port to DVI adapter for the 3rd monitor. what you linked looks like a passive one
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 11, 2012 6:02:29 AM

Chances are that a 6870 would only be able to power four displays if it has at least two Displayports and/or had a special GPU with more than the normal 2 HDMI/DVI-D lanes. There are a few 6870 models and a few models of many other cards that can power up to 4, 5, or 6 displays, but these are much often more expensive than regular versions of the cards.

You might be able to use 4 displays in the way that you described if your 6870 is one such card, but it might not work and I have no way of knowing if you have such a 6870. Many cards can't use all of their HDMI/DVI ports at the same time, so there's not really a way of knowing if you can use 4 displays on your 6870 unless you look up your exact model or you test it yourself.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 11, 2012 8:01:02 AM

There certainly are 6870s that can drive 4 displays, I own one. That said, it has to be one with either 2 Display Ports, or 2 Mini Display Ports at the back. You can then drive either 2 monitors on DVI, and 1 on each Display Port, or 1 on DVI, 1 on HDMI, and 1 on each Display Port. Check the back of the card and see what you have. If you only have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 Display Port, which is the common configuration, you'll only be able to drive 3 displays with your card.

m
l
a b C Monitor
June 11, 2012 8:10:20 AM

Supernova1138 said:
There certainly are 6870s that can drive 4 displays, I own one. That said, it has to be one with either 2 Display Ports, or 2 Mini Display Ports at the back. You can then drive either 2 monitors on DVI, and 1 on each Display Port, or 1 on DVI, 1 on HDMI, and 1 on each Display Port. Check the back of the card and see what you have. If you only have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 Display Port, which is the common configuration, you'll only be able to drive 3 displays with your card.

Actually, there are a few Radeon 6000 cards (and maybe some others) that can have three DVI-D/HDMI displays at once.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 11, 2012 7:09:16 PM

bamafan2989 said:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

On Dell's website (where I ordered the computer) it says the card supports a max of 5 displays. Can someone link me to some appropriate DVI to Mini Displayport Adapters or cables that I could use.

Thanks!

You'd need an active converter that converts HDMI/DVI-D's digital signaling into Displayport's digital signaling. I'll look around for one.
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:55:26 PM

Ok, here is an update. I have 2 ASUS VH232H and a Samsung Syncmaster 906 BW.

The Samsung only has DVI-D.

I want to hook up all 3 monitors to the Radeon 6870 which has 1x HDMI, 2x DVI, 2x Display Port outputs.

What do I need to order to do this? I would like to leave one HDMI port free on one of the ASUS monitors so I can hook up my digital cable.

Help me solve this! Go!
m
l
!