Amd a4-3305m vs intel pentium b940

tomemr

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I am looking to buy a new notebook with Windows 7. My two choices are an HP Pavilion g6 with the AMD processor or a Toshiba Satellite L755 with the Intel processor. Is one much better than the other or should I just buy by price?

Thanks,
Tom

What are you going to be doing with this computer? Both will work fine for everday use but I personally would take the Pentium. It is faster and more effcient than the APU.

tomemr

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. The computer is replacing an old desktop and will be used for word processing, web surfing, writing emails and some basic spreadsheet work - nothing too strenuous. I want a new notebook to cut down on the clutter. Thanks again.

In that case I would go with the Pentium. The APU has better integrated graphics but weak in the CPU core power. The Pentium has weaker integrated graphics but is much stronger, faster and more effcient in CPU power. Considering that you don't need the better integrated graphics since you aren't gaming than I would go with the faster Pentium.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Look at the other specs too.
- There's so much more to a laptop than it's CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, and GPU/VID.
- Weight
- Bulk
- Battery life
- Screen size
- Screen quality
- Built quality
- Recharge time to 80%
- Warranty
- After market support and associated costs.
- etc.

For the tasks you've specified the CPU type really isn't super important compared to after-market support.

The HP Pavillion G6 is available in several configurations, some with AMD processors.
I suspect the Toshiba is too.

If you're really pinned on just two models it sounds like you need to shop around some more first, and look at what really matters to you in a laptop over the next 24-36 months, maybe even longer.

tomemr

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Thanks Scott. Those two models are inexpensive (key word) and sounds like either one would suit my needs. Really appreciate your comments. Tom

tomemr

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Thanks for the detailed comparison. I'll look for the Pentium version. You guys have been really helpful. Tom