Sign in with
Your question

My laptop screen glitches and moves, randomly.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2012 10:11:14 AM

Hello,

I've been having this problem from yesterday. Right now, I'm in Safe-Mode with Networking, so I can communicate, since I have no other computer to use for this.

Here are some details:

First off I watched a movie on my LCD screen, using an HDMI cord(With charger plugged in, if that makes any difference), then I played a Video Game, on the laptop screen (Unplugged the HDMI). After about 1 hour in the game, I notice some weird, random triangles/lines/squares(Random shapes with random colors), and they were distorting my view. First, I thought it was the map that I was playing that was bugging me. But then, I noticed maps that I have played before started doing it. I closed the game, only to realize my desktop is doing the same thing. Distorting the image in ways I can hardly see. (Basically it's like the screen is a puzzle, and pieces were flying around, taking that part of the screen somewhere else on it.)

It kept getting worse as I was trying to find a solution...To a point that I could not see anything, literally, Animated shapes invaded the screen...

I went to sleep, hoping it wouldn't be anything too serious, and that it was just a malfunction, but I woke up today to find out that the problem persists, and as much as before.

My specs:

-HP Pavilion G6.
-ATi Radeon HD 6470M (Switchable graphics - 1 Gigs of VGA).
-Intel Graphics(For resolution)
-Intel Core i5 @ 2.67 GHz.
-4 Gigs of Ram.
-64-bit.
-Running Windows 7.

What I already tried:

-Turned it off and On.
-Booted it up without battery charger.
-Booted it up without battery, with charger only.
-Changed resolution with Intel Graphics.

So, any ideas guys?
June 11, 2012 10:26:17 AM

if it does the same issue on the hdmi port it could be the gpu over heated and that your seeing artifacts. does the screen flack out in hdmi port and in the bios screen or on a dos boot disk or usb boot stick. if it does it in dos or in the bios screen then in hardware.
m
l
June 11, 2012 10:33:35 AM

Quote:
if it does the same issue on the hdmi port it could be the gpu over heated and that your seeing artifacts. does the screen flack out in hdmi port and in the bios screen or on a dos boot disk or usb boot stick. if it does it in dos or in the bios screen then in hardware.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I only see these "Artifacts" on my desktop/apps/games.

In the user loggin screen/Alt+ctrl+delete screen, it's perfect, not a single artifact.

I have completely no idea what's causing this, and the BIOS should be working fine, if I need to use it.

At the moment, I'm running a computer scan hoping it would be nothing but a simple virus.

Also, if I need to do something with BIOS, please explain widely, since I have never worked with it.
m
l
June 11, 2012 1:18:01 PM

there can be software issue or a hardware issue...to rule out software i was asking does the issue happen when your in the bios of the laptop...the bios screen is hardware based from a small chip and does not use any drivers. if the screen rolls there or from a usb boot stick with some gpu burn in test...then it could be hardware issue. in windows there are drivers to run the hardware these can be damaged. (sometime reinstalling the driver in safe mode) might fix the issue. if it a software issue. when windows loads it uses more of the gpu power and ram. so you could have a bad gpu chip or a spot of bad ram.
m
l
!