Sign in with
Your question

I7 960 in laptop compatible with desktop?

Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:23:52 AM

Hello, I currently have a laptop using an i7 960 processor (processor specs below). I'm wondering if it's possible to take the processor from the laptop and use it for a desktop instead. I know typically laptop processors can't be used to do this, but since the i7 960 isn't specifically (at least from what I can find, I've searched the internet high and low and even tried to contact intel directly--lol) a laptop processor, can this be done?

I apologize if this answer is absurdly obvious.

specs:
3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7 960
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Thank you for your time!
a c 146 à CPUs
December 16, 2012 4:28:47 AM

boogies said:
Hello, I currently have a laptop using an i7 960 processor (processor specs below). I'm wondering if it's possible to take the processor from the laptop and use it for a desktop instead. I know typically laptop processors can't be used to do this, but since the i7 960 isn't specifically (at least from what I can find, I've searched the internet high and low and even tried to contact intel directly--lol) a laptop processor, can this be done?

I apologize if this answer is absurdly obvious.

specs:
3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7 960
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Thank you for your time!

First I don't think your laptop is using an I7 960 considering the I7 960 is a desktop CPU. You can't switch between a laptop CPU and desktop. Even though both desktop and laptop that share the I7 name they are different and they use different sockets. The laptop I7's are dual core with hyperthreading unless marked with the QM in the name. If it does have the QM marking then it is a quad core with hyperthreading but again it uses a different socket then it's I7 desktop cousin. Also the laptop CPU's run at a lower TDP and slower clock speeds. So as you can see they are very different and you can't put a laptop CPU in a desktop socket.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2012 4:51:55 AM

The i7-960 is a Desktop CPU, but I remember there being a very specialized line of laptops that managed to cram even the i7-980x onto themselves.

Unless you have the wrong CPU labeled, the CPU will work inside of a desktop motherboard (1366 socket)

A program I often use, is called Speccy. if you run the program and click the CPU tab at the left, you should see the processor name, and the Package type (Socket).
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
December 16, 2012 4:56:55 AM

I would use CPU-z but either way he has to find out exactly what CPU he has before we can go any further.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 5:23:53 AM

Control Panel\System and Security\System
m
l
!