Sign in with
Your question

I7 3770k temps

Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:25:19 AM

So I just recently did a second build similar to mine and I noticed that the heat on the new build was quite hig compared to mine. So to start, my build:

i7 3770k
GB Z77X-D3H
Antec Liquid Coole, Fan blowing Out
My Idle Temp @ 4Ghz is 28c ~ 30c
@ 4.2Ghz Im at 34c to 36c

The second build is similar except the cooler is a Corsair H80 (Fans Blowing out)
It was running @ 4Ghz doing 35 ~ 38c idel.

I know that Ivy's run hot, but the idle seems a bit high. I was surprised the Corsair run hotter. I am not using any extra thermal paste, it's just the stock that came with the coolers.

Nothing is wrong with the machines, in fact they kick some serious ass (I have a 7970 XFX Black) but I was wondering if I should stive for cooler temps?

More about : 3770k temps

December 16, 2012 2:37:20 AM

syrupd said:
So I just recently did a second build similar to mine and I noticed that the heat on the new build was quite hig compared to mine. So to start, my build:

i7 3770k
GB Z77X-D3H
Antec Liquid Coole, Fan blowing Out
My Idle Temp @ 4Ghz is 28c ~ 30c
@ 4.2Ghz Im at 34c to 36c

The second build is similar except the cooler is a Corsair H80 (Fans Blowing out)
It was running @ 4Ghz doing 35 ~ 38c idel.

I know that Ivy's run hot, but the idle seems a bit high. I was surprised the Corsair run hotter. I am not using any extra thermal paste, it's just the stock that came with the coolers.

Nothing is wrong with the machines, in fact they kick some serious ass (I have a 7970 XFX Black) but I was wondering if I should stive for cooler temps?

my i7 3770k at 3.5ghz was idling around 25-30C
now i have it overclocked to 4.4ghz with 1.205v and it idles around 30-35c
and i have a noctua nh-d14 so i wouldnt worry about the temps

what i would worry about is load temps
12hour+ on prime 95 the highest i got was at 67c and thats pretty good while others
are getting way over that amount
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:53:37 AM

My 3770K is at less than 30 C and I am running at 4ghz with a CoolerMaster 212 EVO. I do have two fans on it, but they only run at 5v. So maybe your temps seem a bit high. Like geekdgreen said, you only need to worry about load temps. Using folding@home with 8 threads maxed, I hit 65C.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 3:02:51 AM

Dual core processor No oc go to 75degere celcius in full load but i am dont worry because thats a laptop and power option set at highperformance.
m
l
December 17, 2012 1:49:17 AM

Its goog to know, thanks for the reply's guys. I wouldn't say I was worried about the temps, but more wanted to know where I was averaging. I was also thinking if there was much difference between heatpipes and solid water coolers. Which seems that I am not finding much of a range.

it is the Antec Kuhler 620 that I am using now, and when running prime 95 for around an hour I hit 70c ~ 72c. I think I might change my fan layout around and see if I can get better results.

Any other thoughts on either:

1) Taking off the stock paste and applying some Artic 5 that I have,
2) Reversing the flow of air for the radiator, right now the fan blows the air from inside the case, throught the rad and out the back.

Another option I have is my case is designed for airflow, so the drivebays are all grill, so I could technically jerry-rig a fan in the bays and push more cool air inside the case around the CPU for the radiator to use, insteade of reversind the flow and pusing more usesless hot air into the case
m
l
!