Sign in with
Your question

PC Upgrade Advice.

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2012 1:00:46 AM

Hello All.

I was pointed to this website by a good friend of mine and have been doing a load of research using it over the last few days/weeks but want to ask a couple of questions before I commit to an upgrade in the next week or so. I am more of a software guy so hardware and all the numbers that go with it really goes over my head.

First of all im currently using an off the shelf PC, I know its not the best hence the need for upgrading but it was all I could afford this time last year.

Ill get the basics out of the way. This is what im working with:

HP Pavilion p7-1015uk ( http://tinyurl.com/ctr7puf ) <--- PC breakdown.
Intel Core i3 2100
4GB Ram
64-bit Windows Home Premium
Integrated Graphics
Resolution 1920x1080

I play an array of games but the main ones are WoW, Diablo 3 and I want to buy BF3. I also use photoshop a lot, watch movies etc. I've never ran a game before at ultra or even high quality and would love to say I can to all my gaming buddys.

Im working with a budget of £500ish ($780 according to google) I might have a little more cash if really necessary.
Im working with Pound sterling and sites from the UK and I know a lot of you are from the US but sourcing isnt the issue its the advice I seek more.

Ive worked out what I want but I could be miles off so please feel free to correct me.
I want something which is future proof and that wont need upgrading for a while.
I also want to get the most expensive and necessary components out the way so in the near future I can just buy things like bigger HDD etc.

Sorry about the story so far.
So down to what I want to buy.

Palit GTX 670 JetStream (£320 - $500) http://tinyurl.com/bokstzf
Because of this I believe I need to upgrade from my current PSU of 300w to 500w+ with 2 PSi-e connectors?

Corsair TX 650w PSU (£70 - $110) http://tinyurl.com/3j63r8b

And I also want more RAM. Im currently thinking of filling my PC up with 16GB as it can take it.
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance Blue Memory (£74 - $115) http://tinyurl.com/ccom3v9

Overclocking isnt something I understand so unless I need to I dont plan on doing so.

Im sure this may be over kill but is it totally silly and unrealistic? Where am I going wrong and what would you change?
Can my current PC (motherboard, i3 Core etc) even support this upgrade? Would I be able to get the best out of it?
Im trying to get the best out of my money as its not often I get money available to put towards my PC.
I would really like some input from people who have some knowledge and understanding of all this jargon and would really appreciate the help.

Sorry again for the book and hope you can help.
Many thanks!

Jase.

More about : upgrade advice

August 2, 2012 1:50:04 AM

Yes, those upgrades are all compatible with each other. You shouldn't encounter any problems. The video card is nice. It'll let you play almost all games on ultra at 60FPS, if you are not already aware. That PSU is great too. You will need to upgrade from your 300W.

Overclocking is basically forcing your components to work faster than they usually do.

For example, if you had a 3.3 GHz i5 2500K, you could overclock it to, let's say, 4.0GHz instead of the stock 3.3. You can also overclock the GPU, and it is fairly easy. Generally you can even do it through the control panel of the card.

You don't HAVE to overclock. My system isn't overclocked at all right now. It will increase performance though.

One thing to note about that video card. It is pretty big, make sure your case can fit it.

16GB is a little overkill for gaming, but if you are doing photo/video editing or anything like that, you will be thankful for the extra RAM.

I'm not really an expert, but I did have to go through all this stuff a few months ago when picking out my system. You should probably get a second opinion though.

Good luck,
August 2, 2012 3:16:36 AM

Thanks a lot for your fast reply and input.

Regarding overclocking, its nice to know when I get confident with my new card I will be able to push it a little more.

As for RAM I was kind of hoping it would help as far a photo editing and video editing goes as I do this stuff quite a lot.

Related resources
August 2, 2012 3:37:05 AM

Exactly. While overclocking that card won't be necessary right now, in a few years it'll be nice to have the option.

Good luck with it all,
August 2, 2012 3:38:52 AM

The 2100 will hold you back in some of the newer games, but probably can't be helped. Just don't be surprised if your benchmark scores come back a little low. Other wise you look good. Double check the size of the case as mentioned and that you have a PCIe 16x slot on the board. (I'm lazy and didn't click the links....)

Edit: And FYI, you have a 2100 which can't be OC'd. You need a "k" chip for that. You can OC the GPU if needed but that doesn't usually do much.)
August 2, 2012 3:43:43 AM

4745454b said:
The 2100 will hold you back in some of the newer games, but probably can't be helped. Just don't be surprised if your benchmark scores come back a little low. Other wise you look good. Double check the size of the case as mentioned and that you have a PCIe 16x slot on the board. (I'm lazy and didn't click the links....)

Edit: And FYI, you have a 2100 which can't be OC'd. You need a "k" chip for that. You can OC the GPU if needed but that doesn't usually do much.)

Forgot to mention that. You can't overclock the CPU. At least it is the same socket as an i5/i7, so you could upgrade to a 2500K or something in the future.

I did click his link, and he has one unoccupied PCIe 16x slot.
August 2, 2012 4:17:34 AM

Yeah overcloaking really didnt come into my mind so I can pass on that for now or at least till I upgrade further.

So say for arguments sake I find that card is to big (I do hope not) what other card would anyone recommend?
August 2, 2012 4:44:23 AM

Just googled the size, and it is actually one of the smaller cards. Without going to a non-gaming GPU, its gunna be hard to find a smaller one. You should be good.

Its about 7 inches long. Your case should fit that.

EDIT: Looking at that link you provided, the case is actually fairly big. You shouldn't have any problems with size.
August 2, 2012 4:49:35 AM

voiidwulf said:
Just googled the size, and it is actually one of the smaller cards. Without going to a non-gaming GPU, its gunna be hard to find a smaller one. You should be good.

Its about 7 inches long. Your case should fit that.

EDIT: Looking at that link you provided, the case is actually fairly big. You shouldn't have any problems with size.

Thanks mate, you've been a great help :) 
August 2, 2012 5:01:23 AM

No problem. Good luck with the upgrade :D 
August 2, 2012 3:22:44 PM

Any more opinions? Always more than welcome...
!