What is best flash for Digital Rebel?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 25, 2005 7:44:32 PM

I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!

Don in GA

More about : flash digital rebel

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:44:33 PM

Don Smith wrote:

> I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!

"*But* it's $179" ???

That's a deal compared to the Canon 580EX for $379.00 :-)
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:45:45 PM

"Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!

Don,

I'm using a Canon 420EX which you can get from B&H Photo for about the same
price and it doesn't look like the one you're looking at has anymore
features the 420. I like the flash a lot. It's simple to use, has bounce
and swivel capabilities and has worked very well on my Rebel.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

HTH

--

Rob
August 26, 2005 12:26:14 AM

"Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!

Your Rebel has a flash so what more do you want specifically.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:26:15 AM

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
>> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>
> Your Rebel has a flash so what more do you want specifically.

It has a little...teeny...flash, yes.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:00:28 AM

"Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>
> Don in GA

Not sure about the compatability of the Quantaray. Take a look also at the
Sigma EF-500 Super DG, it's about the same price but 100% compatible with
Canon digital. It is E-TTL compatible, has FEC and can be used in manual
mode. It also has flash exposure compensation, something you'll want if
your DReb doesn't have the hack to unlock this feature on the camera.

The Canon 420EX is a great flash unit as well, but has neigher FEC or manual
output. You might see if you can find out when the just-announced 430EX is
available, it is similar to the 420EX but is slightly more powerful and has
7 levels of manual power output.

Mark
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:37:11 AM

Don Smith wrote:
> I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>
> Don in GA

You can also check out eBay or a used-equipment dealer. Perhaps
somebody is selling an older 380EX (which should work fine) and
upgrading to something newer.

--
John Reagan
Anonymous

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
>> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>
> Don,
>
> I'm using a Canon 420EX which you can get from B&H Photo for about the
> same price and it doesn't look like the one you're looking at has anymore
> features the 420. I like the flash a lot. It's simple to use, has bounce
> and swivel capabilities and has worked very well on my Rebel.

I've had the eye on the 420 myself, but:

Heads up! There's a "430" that's just been announced with a few more bells
and whistles for the latest cameras. Canon flashes tend to be expensive, but
the 430 is beginning to have enough knobs on to be worth it, IMHO.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:49:35 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D elp2l$erc$1@nnrp.gol.com...

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
>>> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>>
>> Don,
>>
>> I'm using a Canon 420EX which you can get from B&H Photo for about the
>> same price and it doesn't look like the one you're looking at has anymore
>> features the 420. I like the flash a lot. It's simple to use, has
>> bounce and swivel capabilities and has worked very well on my Rebel.
>
> I've had the eye on the 420 myself, but:
>
> Heads up! There's a "430" that's just been announced with a few more bells
> and whistles for the latest cameras. Canon flashes tend to be expensive,
> but the 430 is beginning to have enough knobs on to be worth it, IMHO.

Amazon.com has the 430 listed at $299 and the 580 listed at $379. At that
price, I think I'd save my pennies and just go for the 580.

--

Rob
Anonymous

In article <11gs7sir8sb9kf1@news.supernews.com>, not@real.address says...
> Don Smith wrote:
>
> > I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> > Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>
> "*But* it's $179" ???
>
> That's a deal compared to the Canon 580EX for $379.00 :-)

Stick to the Canon brand flash for compatibility with the camera. Flash
and camera are quite tightly integrated. (google "EOS flash faq" for more
information than you want to know).
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:41:54 PM

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Don,
>>>
>>> I'm using a Canon 420EX which you can get from B&H Photo for about the
>>> same price and it doesn't look like the one you're looking at has
>>> anymore features the 420. I like the flash a lot. It's simple to use,
>>> has bounce and swivel capabilities and has worked very well on my Rebel.
>>
>> I've had the eye on the 420 myself, but:
>>
>> Heads up! There's a "430" that's just been announced with a few more
>> bells and whistles for the latest cameras. Canon flashes tend to be
>> expensive, but the 430 is beginning to have enough knobs on to be worth
>> it, IMHO.
>
> Amazon.com has the 430 listed at $299 and the 580 listed at $379. At that
> price, I think I'd save my pennies and just go for the 580.

Ouch. At those prices, I'd just buy a generic flash with onboard control.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:41:55 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D elvur$glr$1@nnrp.gol.com...

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've had the eye on the 420 myself, but:
>>>
>>> Heads up! There's a "430" that's just been announced with a few more
>>> bells and whistles for the latest cameras. Canon flashes tend to be
>>> expensive, but the 430 is beginning to have enough knobs on to be worth
>>> it, IMHO.
>>
>> Amazon.com has the 430 listed at $299 and the 580 listed at $379. At
>> that price, I think I'd save my pennies and just go for the 580.
>
> Ouch. At those prices, I'd just buy a generic flash with onboard control.

Well that certainly is a way to go... Or you can just go back to the 420EX
at the price the OP was looking at for the Quantaray and add the Russian
firmware hack to the camera for FEC.

--

Rob
Anonymous

In article <MPG.1d791d0d33aa70a69898a7@news.optusnet.com.au>,
jbgraham@nowhere.com.au says...
> In article <11gs7sir8sb9kf1@news.supernews.com>, not@real.address says...
> > Don Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
> > > Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
> >
> > "*But* it's $179" ???
> >
> > That's a deal compared to the Canon 580EX for $379.00 :-)
> >
> Stick to the Canon brand flash for compatibility with the camera. Flash
> and camera are quite tightly integrated. (google "EOS flash faq" for more
> information than you want to know).

I just realised your Digital Reb does not have flash exposure
compensation, so you will want to buy a flash which has that on the
flashgun. The new Canon 430EX has that.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:52:29 PM

"Bruce Graham" <jbgraham@nowhere.com.au> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1d791d0d33aa70a69898a7@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> jbgraham@nowhere.com.au says...

>> > "*But* it's $179" ???
>> >
>> > That's a deal compared to the Canon 580EX for $379.00 :-)
>> >
>> Stick to the Canon brand flash for compatibility with the camera. Flash
>> and camera are quite tightly integrated. (google "EOS flash faq" for more
>> information than you want to know).
>>
> I just realised your Digital Reb does not have flash exposure
> compensation, so you will want to buy a flash which has that on the
> flashgun. The new Canon 430EX has that.

Add the Russian hacked firmware and you'll have FEC.

--

Rob
Anonymous

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:26:14 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>"Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
>> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>
>Your Rebel has a flash so what more do you want specifically.

My Rebel has a flash, too.
It's a small, anemic flash. Decent for fill flash for close subjects,
But for anything more, a larger, more powerful flash is good to have.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

I am new, after about a three year hiatus, to this group and really
appreciate the quality and quantity of responses. Here is my dilemma:
I have taken on the project as a "back up" photographer for my
daughter's school. This is no ordinary school; it's a very large, big
budget state of the art private school with a campus that looks like a
major college, only nicer. They have multiple high end publications.
They want parent to volunteer, but who want to work another 5K? So my
background has been serious amateur photography (I was a journalist
for many years and took photos with my stories, so I have a good eye
for composition and did layout for publications over the years). But
I am very weak on camera techniques so usually use the automatic mode
and let the camera do the work. On my first assignment for the school
I took about 50 shots and they absolutely loved them and think and
refer me as a "professional." However, I know I need to brush up or
learn how to do more fill lighting. I thought a flash might help
augment that effort. But when I did a test shot with the Quantaray I
was disappointed. I went back to the built in flash which actually
put more light on the subject (my classic Studebaker in my garage). So
far I am not impressed with the flash and wonder if any flash would do
any better.

The verbage on the Quantaray is this: "The New Quantaray 900WA
Digital for Canon is fully dedicated and E-TTL compatible. It is
designed to work seamlessly with any Canon digital or traditional SLR.
The new lower profile and metal flash foot will insure many years of
reliable flash photography."

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:00:28 -0400, "Mark B."
<mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>I want to add a flash to my Digital REbel. Wolfe (Ritz) recommends
>> Quantaray QDC 900WA Digital Zoom Flash but it's $179!
>>
>> Don in GA
>

>Not sure about the compatability of the Quantaray. Take a look also at the
>Sigma EF-500 Super DG, it's about the same price but 100% compatible with
>Canon digital. It is E-TTL compatible, has FEC and can be used in manual
>mode. It also has flash exposure compensation, something you'll want if
>your DReb doesn't have the hack to unlock this feature on the camera.
>
>The Canon 420EX is a great flash unit as well, but has neigher FEC or manual
>output. You might see if you can find out when the just-announced 430EX is
>available, it is similar to the 420EX but is slightly more powerful and has
>7 levels of manual power output.
>
>Mark

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:51:21 AM

In article <4lqtg1lagarje69dt6r7uve8178u653eak@4ax.com>,
dhsmith@bellsouth.net says...
> The verbage on the Quantaray is this: "The New Quantaray 900WA
> Digital for Canon is fully dedicated and E-TTL compatible. It is
> designed to work seamlessly with any Canon digital or traditional SLR.
> The new lower profile and metal flash foot will insure many years of
> reliable flash photography."

The "lower profile" is why I didn't buy it when I had my hands on it.
the short body moves the flash almost as close to the lens as the built-
in flas on the DRebel. I continue to use a Sunpak 838.
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

>I am new, after about a three year hiatus, to this group and really
> appreciate the quality and quantity of responses. Here is my dilemma:
> I have taken on the project as a "back up" photographer for my
> daughter's school. This is no ordinary school; it's a very large, big
> budget state of the art private school with a campus that looks like a
> major college, only nicer. They have multiple high end publications.
> They want parent to volunteer, but who want to work another 5K? So my
> background has been serious amateur photography (I was a journalist
> for many years and took photos with my stories, so I have a good eye
> for composition and did layout for publications over the years). But
> I am very weak on camera techniques so usually use the automatic mode
> and let the camera do the work. On my first assignment for the school
> I took about 50 shots and they absolutely loved them and think and
> refer me as a "professional." However, I know I need to brush up or
> learn how to do more fill lighting. I thought a flash might help
> augment that effort. But when I did a test shot with the Quantaray I
> was disappointed. I went back to the built in flash which actually
> put more light on the subject (my classic Studebaker in my garage). So
> far I am not impressed with the flash and wonder if any flash would do
> any better.
>
> The verbage on the Quantaray is this: "The New Quantaray 900WA
> Digital for Canon is fully dedicated and E-TTL compatible. It is
> designed to work seamlessly with any Canon digital or traditional SLR.
> The new lower profile and metal flash foot will insure many years of
> reliable flash photography."

Don,

I had similar problems with my wife's 550EX on my DRebel. The photo's were
under exposed. Then I installed the Russian firmware hack which added Flash
Exposure Compensation and I was able to over come the issue. What I found
interesting is that when I went to the 420EX I didn't need to use the FEC as
much to fix under exposure. I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to
know why, I just know the 420 worked better.

Good luck BTW with the school. My wife, who's been shooting film for years,
does the same thing at our daughters school, a similar type of school, and
it can be fun but also frustrating. She does all of her school work on a
poorly volunteer basis completely FOC including processing but sometime the
school doesn't seem to realize how good they have it if you know what I
mean. She does it for the pure fun of it so it doesn't bother her much.

--

Rob
Anonymous

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Good luck BTW with the school. My wife, who's been shooting film for
> years, does the same thing at our daughters school, a similar type of
> school, and it can be fun but also frustrating. She does all of her
> school work on a poorly volunteer basis completely FOC including
> processing but sometime the

LOL that should have read "purely volunteer basis" :-)

--

Rob
Anonymous

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:18:25 -0400, Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

>> Good luck BTW with the school. My wife, who's been shooting film for
>> years, does the same thing at our daughters school, a similar type of
>> school, and it can be fun but also frustrating. She does all of her
>> school work on a poorly volunteer basis completely FOC including
>> processing but sometime the
>
> LOL that should have read "purely volunteer basis" :-)
With a lot of volunteer work they could be synonimous .
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

"Neil Ellwood" <carl.elllwood2@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.08.27.14.49.53.127514@btopenworld.com...
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:18:25 -0400, Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>

>>> Good luck BTW with the school. My wife, who's been shooting film for
>>> years, does the same thing at our daughters school, a similar type of
>>> school, and it can be fun but also frustrating. She does all of her
>>> school work on a poorly volunteer basis completely FOC including
>>> processing but sometime the
>>
>> LOL that should have read "purely volunteer basis" :-)
> With a lot of volunteer work they could be synonimous .

I know this will lead no where good but my wife does excellent work, in many
cases better then the professionals that have been hired in the past.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Rob,

I am very impressed with this school's overall professionalism about
EVERYTHING. That comes from a very strong and political headmaster
who has been there 25 years. They are a 12 year school and have a
100% college attendance for its grads. They do a very professional
job on all their pubs. This is really a very nice opportunity for me
to assimilate into this community because the leading parents and
friends of the school are also the leaders of the city. They have an
impressive contribution list that include many parents who's kids
graduated years ago, but they still support the school. If I were
head of a private school or on the board, I would analyze what this
school does as a template for success. So they really appreciate what
I do, I enjoy doing it (I work out of my home which is three miles
from the school, so I can run over for a hour or so and get some
shots). The nice thing about this is that I have an agreement up
front that I don't have to provide any descriptions or names; just the
photos and they take them raw. That removes the headaches. Thanks
for your input.

Don

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:14:11 -0400, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."

!