Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need opinions on my Gaming PC partpicker build

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2012 2:06:06 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I get the $ (1 to 2 months)

Budget Range: prefer around $1,500 (not over 2k)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Personal usage (music, browsing, etc.), Watching Blu-ray/DVD movies

Are you buying a monitor: eventually but would like to know if/how this can have 2 monitors?

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any safe sites

Parts Preferences: You know best

Overclocking: If I learned how, then maybe.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

Here is the part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dCqT

I wanted some opinions on the parts I chose and I am not sure what PSU I will need if I plan on adding another video card and more ram eventually.

I am not building this PC for one game but I do plan on playing moslty BF3 on it, so keep that in mind. Also, will this run BF3 online @60fps on big maps with high settings?

PC looks and noise I could care less about, I am just here because this is going to be my first PC build and I'm not 100% sure on everything.

Also do you think it's worth the SSD for faster booting and stuff? or should I save the $200? Just because my budget is big doesn't mean I'm rich.

August 2, 2012 2:23:08 AM

Fine. You couldn't get a better build with $1500 than this.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:24:33 AM

fpoon said:
Fine. You couldn't get a better build with $1500 than this.

challenge accepted :kaola: 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:26:30 AM

Looks good!

If you want, you can save a few bucks and downgrade the SSD to 128gb. It's more than enough for the OS and a few games. That would actually be the best idea. Put the games you plan on playing most on the SSD. You'll appreciate the faster load times.

If you want better cable management, you could shoot for a modular PSU such as the Corsair Hx750. Otherwise, just stick with the one you originally chose. It would be an excellent choice as well.

Oops, forgot to mention. You'll want to grab a 2x4gb kit of RAM. That particular mobo supports dual channel memory...meaning it will perform better with two sticks of RAM rather than just a single dimm. Try this...
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:28:44 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dDhT

the msi card is the only one that can be overvolted using software. all the other 670s cant unless they buy some hardware that allows for it
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:30:30 AM

950w is certainly overkill
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:30:48 AM

DeusAres said:
Looks good!

If you want, you can save a few bucks and downgrade the SSD to 128gb. It's more than enough for the OS and a few games. That would actually be the best idea. Put the games you plan on playing most on the SSD. You'll appreciate the faster load times.

If you want better cable management, you could shoot for a modular PSU such as the Corsair Hx750. Otherwise, just stick with the one you originally chose. It would be an excellent choice as well.

So I don't need that many watts even if I plan on adding another video card later?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:31:14 AM

warning for the hx series is that corsair is doing a v2 with more efficency but the same price
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:33:47 AM

TheBigTroll said:
warning for the hx series is that corsair is doing a v2 with more efficency but the same price

Excellent catch. I remember seeing that somewhere earlier today...

Here's the link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And no, you won't need anymore than 750 watts with two way SLI/Crossfire.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:34:07 AM

TheBigTroll said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dDhT

the msi card is the only one that can be overvolted using software. all the other 670s cant unless they buy some hardware that allows for it

Overvolted? As in overclocking? Sorry I'm a noob at a lot of this. I had the 1x8GB RAM card so I could upgrade all the way to 32GB eventually. Is it even worth having that much RAM though?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:34:57 AM

cwsluke said:
Overvolted? As in overclocking? Sorry I'm a noob at a lot of this. I had the 1x8GB RAM card so I could upgrade all the way to 32GB eventually. Is it even worth having that much RAM though?

No, unless you plan on doing heavy video rendering and 3d design.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:36:29 AM

So BF3 should do fine on this?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:38:44 AM

cwsluke said:
So BF3 should do fine on this?

It'll do more than fine...it'll run on max settings no problem.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:39:39 AM

8gb is more than enough for regular use. 16gb is enough for video editing

1x8gb is kinda stupid. memory runs in dual channel on this platform so you use 2 sticks at a time. a 2x4gb is what you should get

check out my build, it has everything needed for future SLI and overclocking

overvolting is basically adding more volts to the video card if necessary. if the voltage is locked, it means that there will be a barrier in your overclocking since you cant raise voltage to supply more power. on the msi, its gone.

normal people dont need to overvolt since the 670 is overkill for 1080p gaming anyways
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:41:39 AM

did you read my post?

note: the xfx xxx 750w is about the same as the corsair unit only the corsair unit has a 7 year warranty compared to a 5 year
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:42:03 AM

For your needs, the Asrock z77 Extreme4 will be more than adequate.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:43:26 AM

TheBigTroll said:
did you read my post?

note: the xfx xxx 750w is about the same as the corsair unit only the corsair unit has a 7 year warranty compared to a 5 year

He likes mine better. :p 

The Corsair is two levels more efficient...especially since the 80+ Gold upgrade it's getting. :D 
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:43:31 AM

TheBigTroll said:
8gb is more than enough for regular use. 16gb is enough for video editing

1x8gb is kinda stupid. memory runs in dual channel on this platform so you use 2 sticks at a time. a 2x4gb is what you should get

check out my build, it has everything needed for future SLI and overclocking

overvolting is basically adding more volts to the video card if necessary. if the voltage is locked, it means that there will be a barrier in your overclocking since you cant raise voltage to supply more power. on the msi, its gone.

normal people dont need to overvolt since the 670 is overkill for 1080p gaming anyways

Thanks for your build but I wanted a full size tower. Won't it be harder to add parts and cool a mid size tower?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:44:38 AM

you do see 1x8gb is a problem right.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:46:04 AM

+1^

It would be in your best interest to change that 1x8gb to 2x4gb. It'll perform much better. You won't need anymore than 8gb of RAM for now anyways.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:46:26 AM

yes
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:46:33 AM

there is no problem with running dual 670s in a mid tower. it will run fine

using a full tower with a smaller than atx board kinda looks weird if you ask me

if you are really worried about cooling, you could get a corsair carbide 500R case. pretty much the coolest case out there
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:46:54 AM

TheBigTroll said:
there is no problem with running dual 670s in a mid tower. it will run fine

using a full tower with a smaller than atx board kinda looks weird if you ask me

if you are really worried about cooling, you could get a corsair carbide 500R case. pretty much the coolest case out there

+1^

Offers excellent cable management as well.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:50:52 AM

That's better. You sure you want that style of RAM though. I'd personally go with something with a little more flash to it if I'm gonna pay that much for a build.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:51:02 AM

i dont see the point of 2 dvd drives. we hardly buy games that are hard copies anymore. i can see the usage of the blu-ray drive though
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:51:24 AM

oh and gskill ares 8gb 2x4gb 1600mhz is selling for 44.99. its a dollar cheaper for the same ram
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:52:49 AM

Told you I'm a noob. And about the drives it's just in case I buy the bare parts to run this pc then buy the rest later. Speaking of that does this MB have on board graphics?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:55:34 AM

yep but they suck in everything other than basic operations and video encoding
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:01:04 AM

that's also the case you guys recommended right?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:02:10 AM

Yup.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:02:18 AM

yes. you could buy the cooler now as well
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:04:53 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dDsP sorry had your list mixed up so changed back to my asrock MB. Would I need the cpu cooler right away? I thought it came with a stock one?
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:05:17 AM

About the 2 monitor thing, could I do that on this PC? would you recommend more RAM?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:06:46 AM

You don't need it. It already comes with a stock fan. You won't want to overclock with that fan lest you fry your CPU.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:06:47 AM

RAM doesn't dictate multi monitor performance. Your video card would determine this. With a gtx 670 it would be possible. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming, though. Especially in FPS games.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:07:17 AM

the ud5h is a better board but its up to you how much you want to spend and the features

the stock cooler is crap. but it is fine for non-overclocking usage
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:09:17 AM

Could I like have my game on one screen and the desktop on the other? or would it affect my game a lot?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:10:33 AM

cwsluke said:
Could I like have my game on one screen and the desktop on the other? or would it affect my game a lot?

That would be a good setup, and no it shouldn't affect your performance whilst gaming.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:13:12 AM

Any idea how much money all the software for the multi-monitor and Blu-ray playback will be?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:15:44 AM

no need for software for multi-monitor, just download the nvidia drivers

as for blu-ray drivers, you wil have to buy some such as that cyberlink thing
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:16:53 AM

I honestly have no clue. I've never really dealt with eyefinity as far as that goes. I understand it affects games like first person shooters, but I don't actually know how it's setup and what not. I'm also not sure about blu ray, as I usually have a blu ray player I use on my hdtv. Or I just stream or download from the internet. I figured you just plugged it in and it more or less worked as a dvd burner would.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:17:36 AM

cwsluke said:
Changed the MB back since you said it was better :)  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dDrU

It would only be better if you plan on using up those extra sata III 6 Gb/s ports. Otherwise, it's potentially a waste of money.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:21:05 AM

Well thanks you guys. If you think of anything feel free to post, but I won't be back until late tomorrow. Gotta get up @ 4:30 to work for this beast! This thing will cost me 250+ hours of manual labor lol. that's what makes it so much better!!!
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:23:26 AM

Gaming at 1920x1080 does not require SLI or crossfire. The GTX670 will allow you to max everything at that resolution for the foreseeable future. Unless you plan on dropping some serious cash on a ultra hi-res monitor (which start at around $700 then go up into the thousands), you won't have a need to use SLI. Using dual monitors won't make any difference as you won't game on 2 monitors simultaneously. Multi monitor gaming starts with 3 monitors, realistically.

I also noticed you have no storage drive.

If it were me, I would get a newer top tier PSU around 550w, forget about SLI, get a storage drive, and seriously look at the Thermaltake Water2.0 series of closed-loop HSFs.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand...

Rosewill FORTRESS 550w PSU (made by ATNG) w/7 year warranty:

Review from credible source:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-FORTRES...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 3:30:42 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Gaming at 1920x1080 does not require SLI or crossfire. The GTX670 will allow you to max everything at that resolution for the foreseeable future. Unless you plan on dropping some serious cash on a ultra hi-res monitor (which start at around $700 then go up into the thousands), you won't have a need to use SLI. Using dual monitors won't make any difference as you won't game on 2 monitors simultaneously. Multi monitor gaming starts with 3 monitors, realistically.

I also noticed you have no storage drive.

If it were me, I would get a newer top tier PSU around 550w, forget about SLI, get a storage drive, and seriously look at the Thermaltake Water2.0 series of closed-loop HSFs.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand...

Rosewill FORTRESS 550w PSU (made by ATNG) w/7 year warranty:

Review from credible source:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-FORTRES...

Closed loop coolers are problematic and the price doesn't justify the performance. They're known for noise and leaks.

Just as the gtx 560 became outdated...so will the gtx 670. It now takes more GPU power to run games on high settings these days due to their graphical enhancements. This will only improve in the future. Dual Gtx 670s wouldn't be a bad idea at 1080p in about a year or two from now.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:52:53 AM

DeusAres said:
Closed loop coolers are problematic and the price doesn't justify the performance. They're known for noise and leaks.

Just as the gtx 560 became outdated...so will the gtx 670. It now takes more GPU power to run games on high settings these days due to their graphical enhancements. This will only improve in the future. Dual Gtx 670s wouldn't be a bad idea at 1080p in about a year or two from now.

Seeing as how I can game with most of the goodies maxed out at 1920x1080 on an HD4890 and a Phenom II, I would say that you are incorrect about dual GPUs maintaining relevance at this resolution. Two things need to happen for dual GPUs to make any sense for the mid-range PC gamer:

1. The price of higher resolution monitors needs to come down dramatically
2. Today's graphics are highly dependent on consoles. Until the next generation comes out next year or the year after, we are not going to see giant leaps in gaming requirements.

I am also curious as to which closed loop coolers you have personally used that you consider "noisy," "problematic", and "leaky." I've used Corsair closed loop coolers for client builds without issues, noise or otherwise. This new Thermaltake line (made by Asetek) is supposedly excellent.
m
l
!