Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will a 3-pin header control the Fan Speed?

Last response: in Components
December 16, 2012 3:45:16 AM

Hi!

My mobo is a Gigabyte G41M- Combo with,
* 1 x 4-pin CPU fan header
* 1 x 3-pin SYS fan header

But I want at all 4 x case fans to be connected. & I thought of using a fan splitter for that single 3-pin header.

So, will the 3-pin header automatically regulate the fan speeds according to the system temperature?
& since I connect 3 x fans (parallel) simultaneously, will there be any problem in regulation?

And I know that I can do this by directly connecting to the Power Supply.
But I'm concerned about the noise that these 3 fans are going to make at full throttle.

Even though, can I directly connect those? Won't there be any there any voltage issues?
[PSU - PowerLogic Magnum Pro 275 (550W) with 3 x Molex (4-pin)]

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 16, 2012 4:03:07 AM

I would reccomend against connecting three fans together on a single Motherboard header because you might draw enough current to burn out that connector which could damage your Mobo. Putting two fans on a single header is usually OK.

Generally, you won't get any control over the fan speed using a three pin header. PWM fans require 4 pins in order to control the fan speed. The best way to control fans speeds using three pin headers is to get a fan controller.
December 16, 2012 4:07:32 AM

Looking at the manual for that motherboard, it appears it does not support automatic can speed control from the sys_fan header.

If you're worried about noise, one trick people do, is rewire the fan connector so that when you connect it to the power supply, you ground to the +5V instead of ground, operating your fan at 7V instead of 12V. That, or there are plenty of fan speed controllers you can get, such as a simple inline resistor, all the way to temperature controlled systems.
Score
Related resources
December 16, 2012 4:51:46 AM

Best answer selected by Trailbreaker.
Score
December 16, 2012 4:54:30 AM

JKatwyopc said:
I would reccomend against connecting three fans together on a single Motherboard header because you might draw enough current to burn out that connector which could damage your Mobo. Putting two fans on a single header is usually OK.

Generally, you won't get any control over the fan speed using a three pin header. PWM fans require 4 pins in order to control the fan speed. The best way to control fans speeds using three pin headers is to get a fan controller.

Thanks man! U saved a Motherboard! :wahoo: 
Score
December 16, 2012 4:59:07 AM

zyky said:
Looking at the manual for that motherboard, it appears it does not support automatic can speed control from the sys_fan header.

If you're worried about noise, one trick people do, is rewire the fan connector so that when you connect it to the power supply, you ground to the +5V instead of ground, operating your fan at 7V instead of 12V. That, or there are plenty of fan speed controllers you can get, such as a simple inline resistor, all the way to temperature controlled systems.

Thanks! But, do you think that can save a big noise from 3x 140mm fans?
Score
!