AMD FX 8350 Core frequency Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouskinthor

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hey there, i recently noticed a drastic decrease FPS while gaming, When i diagnosed the problem i noticed that my CPU cores were switching to a frequency of around 1.4 ghz instead of the stock 4 ghz that the 8350 is supposed to run at.

i cant seem to find any posts online about this particular issue, so im posting it here.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this to happen?

This is my Build:
-AMD FX 8350
-Asus Crosshair V formula
-Asus Radeon 6970
-16GB Corsair DDR3 Ram part number CMZ16XM4A1600C9
-Corsair H100 cooler
-Corsair HX 850W PSU

Many Thanks in Advance

Solution
what motherboard are you using and have you updated the bios?

the fluctuation your seeing is the power saving and temperature control built into the cpu. The options in the bios are C1E, cool n quiet, and c6.

Disable those might help, but the chip is designed to run at a maximum of 60c, if your idling at 40, thats pretty high, especially with the h100. reseat the cpu cooler and make sure the pump is running, should be between 20-30c.

Bouskinthor

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
i was afraid that it might be a defective.

i dont think its the cooler as the cpu Idles around 40C and never goes above 60C on at full load.

What seems to be happening is the frequency multiplier is randomly going down to 7 from 20, then it will go back up for a few seconds and then go back down to 7.

thanks for the reply

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
what motherboard are you using and have you updated the bios?

the fluctuation your seeing is the power saving and temperature control built into the cpu. The options in the bios are C1E, cool n quiet, and c6.

Disable those might help, but the chip is designed to run at a maximum of 60c, if your idling at 40, thats pretty high, especially with the h100. reseat the cpu cooler and make sure the pump is running, should be between 20-30c.

Solution

Bouskinthor

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Ok i disabled all those features in the bios and the frequencies seem to be running stable. thanks heaps for that.

my Mobo is the Asus Crosshair V formula http://www.asus.com.au/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula

Now that you mention it, my bios is also out of date.

i think the reason for higher temps at the moment is its currently summer in Australia and its rather hot. either way if the temps remain high on a cool day ill reseat the cooler.

thanks heaps for the help

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
This is fully normal and should happen.
The CPU is throttling down when it isn't at full load.

Try running something like IntelBurnTest and then watching the frequency.
If it isn't working at 4GHZ during the test THEN there is a problem.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Yep AUS temps can be a bitch, i recently had to give up playing farcry3 through the middle of the day due to ambient heat (i dont have any air con) and a built of siberian husky hair in my 360 Rad (filters don't seen to stop husky fur) and i've been lazy and havent cleaned it yet

Bouskinthor

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

yeah ill try this, before i decide officially tick this problem as solved.

thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.