12 Displays extended desktop

jaredwebb

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hello,

I have a custom build with dual Radeon HD7870 Eye6 card running 12 46" LED TV's the cards each have 6mini DP outs and I have then running through dongle adapters to convert to HDMI to the TV's. All 12 show up in windows and in the AMD control center. However I can not extend the desktop on to more than 4 displays at any given time. Ideally I am going to be running 12 instances of the same application with different data feeds on each display so extended desktop would work better than an Eyefinity setup with just one giant display but at this point I would like any solution to get content on all 12 displays. Any advice to get this rig working right?

Thanks for your input!

jaredwebb

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I figured this out with the help of VisionTek support and figured that I would post here for benefit of anyone else searching for the answers.

The 6-monitor per card setup requires the monitors to use DisplayPort connections. While the eyefinity 6 graphic cards can support adapters, the support is limited up to TWO PASSIVE; for 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th adapters, the card requires it to be active.

So on each of my cards I have to use 4 active adapters from MiniDP to DVI then DVI to HDMI since there are no "Active" MiniDP to HDMI adapters.