How To Bypass Windows Welcome Screen

May 2, 2005 6:27:05 PM

I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go directly to my
desktop. This would eliminate a step of clicking on my name to go to the
desktop.
Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once before but cannot
remember how.
Thanks!
--
jim

More about : bypass windows screen

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:35:33 PM

You can implement the following procedure to enable automatic logon:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jim" wrote:

| I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go directly to my
| desktop. This would eliminate a step of clicking on my name to go to the
| desktop.
| Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once before but cannot
| remember how.
| Thanks!
| --
| jim

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-0, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/2/2005 4:35:34 PM
May 2, 2005 9:52:51 PM

Hi Jim,

This can be done using Tweakui.

Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
and later
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/power...

With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found
here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install...

TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
Windows XP

Click on Logon - Autologon and then enter the User name you want to
automatically logon to.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

jim wrote:
> I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go
> directly to my desktop. This would eliminate a step of
> clicking on my name to go to the desktop.
> Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once
> before but cannot remember how.
> Thanks!
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:35:51 AM

.. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
.. Type in the following:
control userpasswords2
.. now click OK
.. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
logon.
.. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
.. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
password.

Click OK.
The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

!