How To Bypass Windows Welcome Screen

I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go directly to my
desktop. This would eliminate a step of clicking on my name to go to the
desktop.
Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once before but cannot
remember how.
Thanks!
--
jim
3 answers Last reply

    You can implement the following procedure to enable automatic logon:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
    3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
    and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "jim" wrote:

    | I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go directly to my
    | desktop. This would eliminate a step of clicking on my name to go to the
    | desktop.
    | Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once before but cannot
    | remember how.
    | Thanks!
    | --
    | jim

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0518-0, 05/02/2005
    Tested on: 5/2/2005 4:35:34 PM

    Hi Jim,

    This can be done using Tweakui.

    Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
    and later
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

    With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found
    here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
    Windows XP

    Click on Logon - Autologon and then enter the User name you want to
    automatically logon to.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    jim wrote:
    > I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go
    > directly to my desktop. This would eliminate a step of
    > clicking on my name to go to the desktop.
    > Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once
    > before but cannot remember how.
    > Thanks!

    .. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
    .. Type in the following:
    control userpasswords2
    .. now click OK
    .. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
    logon.
    .. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
    .. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
    password.

    Click OK.
    The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
    Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

    "jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to bypass the Windows Welcome Screen and go directly to my
    > desktop. This would eliminate a step of clicking on my name to go to the
    > desktop.
    > Any suggestions on how I can do this? I did it once before but cannot
    > remember how.
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > jim

Configuration Desktops Customization Windows XP