Graphics Card Measurement Standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmonkeyshines

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone know if there is a standard for measuring video card lengths? Do they measure the overall length of the card from the absolute tip-to-tip including the edge of "L" on the bracket, or do they just measure from the inside of the bracket to the back of the board?

The card I'm looking at will either be a tight fit (if I can subtract out the length of the bracket from the stated length) or it won't fit at all (if they're not including the bracket length in the total).

Thanks!

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

To be honest I am not sure where they begin measurements from, but if it is going to be that close of a fit, I would look into getting a bigger case because a tight fit like that will more than likely cause air flow problems and may cause overheating in not only the card, but other components as well.

mrmonkeyshines

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

A valid point, but my case is actually a LianLi with mesh sides/front and an extra 80mm fan on top (it's a desktop format case), and I'm looking at a 7850 which should run relatively cool...I've had no problems with a 5770, so I don't think it will be an issue.

mrmonkeyshines

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.