Flashy RAM or just boring RAM. Is there a difference?

jabarumba

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hello All,
I'm starting a new build and I want to know if there is a need for memory with a heat sink. I can buy a couple Ripjaws that look cool, or I can buy plain old sticks of memory.

I'm not looking to overclock the memory.
I'm thinking of building an IB i5, 16GB mem., and 560 Ti video card.

Does looking cool really make a difference?

Thanks.

Solution
Whether the aesthetics matter is entirely up to you, we cant tell you what you do or don't like.
For me, aesthetics is a factor, but not a big one. If I have to choose between two equivalent parts with similar quality, performance and price, I'l get the one that looks better.

As for the actual benefits of heastinks on RAM, it is essentially none. RAM doesn't produce enough heat to get hot, and doesn't require any special cooling. Other components will fail due to heat before the RAM will. As long as there's a decent airflow through your case, RAM temp isn't an issue.

fudoka711

Distinguished
If you're not looking to overclock the memory - basically any well-rated ram will suffice as long as its on your montherboard's "compatible" list (just make sure its ddr vs ddr2 vs ddr3 depending on your motherboard and the voltage required is usually 1.5v).

Most "good" models just come with some sort of heatsink. Just make sure if you get one with a larger heatsink (i.e. corsair vengeance) you check to see if it will interfere with your cpu's heatsink and/or gpu.

Whether the aesthetics matter is entirely up to you, we cant tell you what you do or don't like.
For me, aesthetics is a factor, but not a big one. If I have to choose between two equivalent parts with similar quality, performance and price, I'l get the one that looks better.

As for the actual benefits of heastinks on RAM, it is essentially none. RAM doesn't produce enough heat to get hot, and doesn't require any special cooling. Other components will fail due to heat before the RAM will. As long as there's a decent airflow through your case, RAM temp isn't an issue.

Solution

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Agreed