Windows 7 64 bit to xp 32 bit network not giving permission

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Hello,

I have the network up and running fine except that the Windows 7 computer cannot open any files on the xp computer. It says that it doesn't have permission and the check with the network administrator. There are no passwords set up on either computer and both run as administrator. The Windows 7 Computer is hard wired to a Linksys router, and the XP uses a wireless N adapter to connect. The windows 7 computer can navigate the xp computer, it just can't open any of the files with any program. Can anyone help please. From the XP computer I can access and open anything on the Windows 7 computer

Doug

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I should have put in my first post, I went through that sticky and everything was already set that way. The windows 7 computer can navigate through the shared drive, open every folder etc. But, when you try to open a file in a program, it says you don't have permission. Before we got the WIndows 7 CPU, it was an XP machine and the network worked fine for many years, then, about 6 months ago, this started with the XP machine also. When we first replaced the XP machine with the Windows 7 machine, the network worked fine, then about 3 weeks ago this "permission" problem started.

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
also, there are 2 XP machines on this network, the Windows 7 machine can open files on that machine fine, it is just this machine that is the problem, and, of course, it is the most important one also. So, my guess is that it is something with the XP machine, not the Windows 7. The only difference is that this XP machine only shares a folder where we keep all of our data, not an entire drive. The other XP machine that doesn't have a problem shares an entire drive. Maybe that is the problem? Let me know and thanks in advance for all your help

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
You have to connect to the other computer using the same user name and password that you use on it. The ones you are ale to view are shared folders with permissions set. If you right click on the xp machines you can set the permissions for the files and what can be done with it via remote.

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

the permissions are already set. I have "Share this folder on the network" checked and "allow network users to change my files. There aren't any other options. Remember, the Windows 7 computer can navagate anywhere in my shared folder, be it just can't open a file. So it sees my computer. We are all on the same network. I went through the sticky post about networking a Windows 7 machine and an XP machine. I'm thinking it might be a program on the XP machine that is the problem, so I booted up in safe mode and we have the same problem.