gibsonstu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Hi guys i have a display issue which i need help with.
I recently installed a new motherboard and memory, and ever since i have had these little ripples or waves going across my screen. Theyre not massively noticeable mainly on my desktop or white backgrounds such as this webpage for example.
I have no idea why they have started happening, i have tried the cable but it still happens. A funny thing is though, if i change my resolution down from my 1680 x 1050 , the waves disappear which tells me its not an electrical interference (and also was no problem in the past)

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 960T
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (AM3)
Graphics HP w2207 (1680x1050@59Hz) 1024MB GeForce GT 430 (nVidia)

That is pasted from Speccy.

Thanks in advance for the advice

gibsonstu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

60hz is the only option it gives me in the nvidia control panel

bucknutty

Distinguished
it seems unlikely it is emi but you could try to re-arange the power wires in your case so that any unused connector is very far away form the board or gpu, and that the pcie power cable is not wrapped around any other wire.

Or even another electrical outlet for the monitor.

gibsonstu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

I tried this, but some wierd things happen.
When i choose a 58 refresh, it says out of range and my monitor stays black until it reverts after the timer.
Also when i choose a 1680 x 1050, it only covers about 4/5 of my screen with the far right being black, like its squished up.
I switch back to the native 1680 x 1050 and its back to normal. Still getting these annoying waves though.