mmun

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I want to play TES V: Skyrim on my laptop, an ASUS N53SV-S1832V

For some reason the game will not detect my dedicated graphics card (Nvidia GT 540M 2GB), but only the onboard Intel graphics, which is obviously not capable of running the game. The 540M just does not show up in the Skyrim launcher.

So far I have:

■Reinstalled and updated Skyrim
■Updated the Nvidia driver
■Tried to run Skyrim with the 540M from the right-click menu
■Set tesv.exe, skyrimlauncher.exe, global settings and physx processor to the 540M from the Nvidia control panel
■Edited sD3DDevice in Skyrim.ini to read: sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M" (this changed the label in the Skyrim launcher until the next reboot, but made no difference in-game)
■Tried ENBseries, FPS background booster, etc.

None of these have made a difference.

Any suggestions?

mmun

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

This: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:System_Requirements says that the 540M can run Skyrim on medium, I have no reason to doubt it.

The official recommended card is a "DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM", and the 540M fulfills these requirements.

mmun

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Nvidias Optimus technology is supposed to control this so that the dedicated card is only used when necessary and both cards can be active at the same time (obviously for separate programs).

kingjay_25

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Dell XPS L502X

I've been trying to figure out why Skyrim won't recognize my Nvidia GT 540m in the launcher. In fact, I've been working on this diligently for 6 to 7 weeks. I tried all the usual suspects, including; changing the settings in the Nvidia control panel, editing the .ini files, etc. No matter what I tried it continued to show the Intel integrated graphics adapter. I was so upset that I considered buying a new laptop.

However, I came across a program called Skyrim Booster which contains a 93d9.dll load file. Well, being desperate, I put this file in my Skyrim directory and something very unusual occurred. When I loaded the launcher it showed a "Nvidia 8800 something or other" and not the Integrated graphics adapter. Hmmm, very interesting, why was this?

So I opened a Hex editor and ASCII searched the 93d9.dll for Nvidia and found the 8800 code. I switched this to my graphics adapter, the Nvidia GT 540m, saved the file.....and, wouldn't you know it, the launcher now shows my correct graphics card. Great, right?

The question I now have is Skyrim really using my Nvidia GT 540m? Anyone?

Thanks,

Jason