Sign in with
Your question

Questions about SLI

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2012 7:07:57 AM

Hello im new to hardware still but a gamer so i want to know how to know if a power supply can handle 2 way sli and what to look for in choosing one out for a build or upgrade

More about : questions sli

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:09:35 AM

What is your budget? :)  and do you have any components selected already?
August 2, 2012 7:12:38 AM

well im planning to run 2 550 ti's so what do i need to look for so i know now and in the future for this kind of thing and really about $110 for psu
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:15:07 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This should do you just fine, the 550Ti isn't that power hungry :) 

This PSU currently has a $15 discount code AND a $10 rebate! That's a total discount of $25, which makes the PSU $49.99 :)  great value IMO
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:15:44 AM

Find out how much wattage the GPU's pull under full load (can usually find this in review sites), and check the 12v rail on the PSU in question.
The 12v rail supplies power to the CPU and GPU. Multiply the voltage (so 12) with the Amperage, you will then get how many watts it can provide. So take the power draw of the CPU and GPU's, minus it from the total, you will want ~100W left over.

Though of course, how much wattage the PSU can provide isn't the only factor. Efficiency, how modular it is, price and quality should all be considered.

Edit: That XFX unit is pretty good, grab it while you can.
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:34:30 AM

Never heard of Inland, and from what I can see it doesn't hit 80+ standards.
I would suggest getting the XFX unit, its inside 80+ quality standards, 80+ Bronze (~85 efficient) versus that one's 76%. And generic units like that tend to die with a bang, and take out the rest of your components.

That PSU should give 432W on the 12v (depending on how old it is and the fact its generic could mean less). So minus 125W (assuming your on an AMD system, worst case scenario), the minus two 550Ti's running at full (~160W). You should have ~160W left on the 12v. But again, if the unit is old, the capacitors will have aged, lowering the wattage. Also being generic, you cant necessarily trust what the specs say.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:35:52 AM

manofchalk said:
Never heard of Inland, and from what I can see it doesn't hit 80+ standards.
I would suggest getting the XFX unit, its inside 80+ quality standards, 80+ Bronze (~85 efficient) versus that one's 76%. And generic units like that tend to die with a bang, and take out the rest of your components.

That PSU should give 432W on the 12v (depending on how old it is and the fact its generic could mean less). So minus 125W (assuming your on an AMD system, worst case scenario), the minus two 550Ti's running at full (~160W). You should have ~160W left on the 12v. But again, if the unit is old, the capacitors will have aged, lowering the wattage. Also being generic, you cant necessarily trust what the specs say.

+1

Doing a quick google search on OP's PSU lead me to the same conclusion. I don't want to risk his PSU blowing up and taking the rest of his components with him.
August 2, 2012 7:38:06 AM

thanks for posting that and now i know what not to buy and to buy now for psu manufacturers i must have gotten lucky with this unit because i have had no problems yet
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:39:57 AM

MiniMac308 said:
thanks for posting that and now i know what not to buy and to buy now for psu manufacturers i must have gotten lucky with this unit because i have had no problems yet

You're very welcome :) 

Glad to know you didn't have any problems. A few months ago, my brother's el-cheapo PSU shorted out taking his motherboard with it..was a very, very annoying experience :lol: 
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 7:41:05 AM

Yea, someone on those forums did a bit of digging and traced the PSU back to Diabloteck and Powmax, both are notorious for producing bad PSU's.

I would replace it on general principle now.
!