Should i spend the exra $20 on a OC GTX 670?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Ehhh, screw the binned talk. I bought a EVGA GTX 670 reference and OC'ed it myself to 680 speeds easily using Precision X software. Solid as a rock! I've always thought, why pay extra to have the manufacture OC my card when I can do it myself. Just my 2 cents! On another note, if your not comfortable overclocking yourself, then pay the extra $20 and get the EVGA FTW.

If your curious and if this helps your decision making since they were talking about tempatures in previous responses, under load my card stays in the mid to upper 60's while OC'ed using the stock cooler. Depending on your cooling setup in your case and on your GPU, your temps can vary greatly. I play games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, and Skyrim on maxed settings...

jerubedo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
The amount of difference you will see in the overclockability of the SC version vs reference is going to be small. The real reason to go with the SC version is because the SC versions usually have a slightly better PCB and heat syncs. The answer would still be to fork up the extra 20.

I would.

Graphics vendors are wise to graphics overclocking.
The bin(or select) the best chips and factory overclock them so they can sell them at a premium.
You may or may not be successful doing it yourself. Who knows, you might get lucky.

In the case of the EVGA FTW GTX670, you get a very good OC.
You also get what looks to me like a better cooler direct exhaust exit grille.

Difference between the reference and non reference designed card in terms of overclocking will be around 15C in case of load, with the Windforce 3X it loads at 63C with the EVGA it loads at 78-80C.

That's why I told you you'd sacrifice heat.

tupacalypse

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
well i have 2 GTX560 Sli right now and they Idle @ 27c and at Load they get around 55-60c so my case has pretty good cooling
DSCN6352.jpg

Those GTX 560s with fans in the middle right? This design is not a reference at all.

But anyway there's no impact if the cards even reach 80C but I always prefer better cooling for more overclocking. So the FTW seem to be good choice.

Stickem

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Ehhh, screw the binned talk. I bought a EVGA GTX 670 reference and OC'ed it myself to 680 speeds easily using Precision X software. Solid as a rock! I've always thought, why pay extra to have the manufacture OC my card when I can do it myself. Just my 2 cents! On another note, if your not comfortable overclocking yourself, then pay the extra $20 and get the EVGA FTW.

If your curious and if this helps your decision making since they were talking about tempatures in previous responses, under load my card stays in the mid to upper 60's while OC'ed using the stock cooler. Depending on your cooling setup in your case and on your GPU, your temps can vary greatly. I play games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, and Skyrim on maxed settings in 1080p. Just know that regardless if you purchase a stock 670 versus a OC'ed 670 it'll run any game maxed out easily with no difference to you on a single monitor. Perhaps you can use this info to make a more informed decision.

Solution

tupacalypse

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
yeah these are 560's OC and the 670 probably wont give me a performance boost over my 560's but my cousin offered to buy both for $300 and the new design and extra gig of vram should be better

Status
Not open for further replies.