My pc just started crashing during games

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb4141

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I just replaced my motherboard from a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T to a GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 cause I wanted to run my ram at correct speeds and the option of adding another video card for crossfire in the future and everything was fine I had gamed on it for many hours at stock settings with no problem I never overclocked anything and one day I came home from work and it starts crashing during games I can do everything but play games when I play games it just dies crashes no bsod no errors errors just dead after I did some digging and it shows that my cpu is overheating so I cleaned all the fans did a system refresh my gpu is not overheating I dont know what to do with it this problem just appeared one day. please help!!! I love my games :'(

my build is:

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (brand new) at stock speed

G-skill ripjaws 16gb 4x sticks of 4gb

2x 500 gb harddrives

1x ssd 32 gb

a sapphire ati redeon 6850

fresh install of windows 8 pro 64bit

thermaltake 600w power supply (brand new)

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
What are the temps of your gfx card when not playing games? - if the sapphire doesn't have a monitor utility then download, install and run gpu-z to display temp sensor readings.

Is the reading high? (online reviews of your exact card will help here).
Then, turn on logging in gpu-z (see checkbox) then play a game. After the crash check the log to see how high the temps went.

It may be a defective gfx card, restricted cooling (check and clean the inside of your pc, particularly around all fans and vents), or defective psu.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
cpu is overheating check your cpu fan if it is working try this to read your temp on system http://www.hwinfo.com/ and if you still use the stock fan maybe it could not handle the heat produce by the overclock ,you could try to repaste with a good paste after removing the old one see if the cooler is well fix on the cpu.

baronduff

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Are your 6850 drivers Win 8 compatible? Were you running Win 8 before changing your mobo? On an unrelated note, do not even install easytune 6. Caused me massive amounts of grief (was hoping it would allow me to adjust vcore as my mobo won't let me... rookie mistake)

wait when you are playing games it shuts of and restarts or just crashes? if its restarting its a bad psu. if its just crashing it could be driver related or memory related if your cpu isnt overheating which i doubt it would running stock speeds

drb4141

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I never installed any new drivers I let windows handle that and I was running win7 before i changed the mobo after the swap I did a fresh install of windows 8 whats bugging me about it is I have litterally gamed on it for hours and one day i come home and poof it starts crashing during games. I'm starting to wonder if an update caused it.

baronduff

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Maybe try rolling back system updates using system restore, maybe windows has installed something that your system isn't liking. I assume this is still possible, i haven't moved onto win 8.

drb4141

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
ok yall i think i figured it out. and im a little embarrassed...after replacing my cpu fan and adding arctic silver thermal paste i idled at 30c and reached about 50c under load but I was still having the problem. i was dumbfounded
and had no idea what the hell was happening to my pc I am no noob to building and fixing pc's but this one had me stumped. it was my power strip. yeah my powerstrip is over 8 years old and the added strain was causing it to die during load. anyone ever herd of such a thing? I replaced the power strip and the problem went away. :eek: id like to thank you all for your patience and advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.