Will FX-8320 be a better deal than i5-3350p for future games?

anderl12

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hi guys,

I don't know if I'll be able to buy my desktop before April 2013 ( when Intel Haswell processors come ) but still I wanted to ask if FX-8320 was a better deal for future games since it has 8 cores and newer games might use more cores and it could help anything.

Both FX-8320 and i5-3350p are at the same prices but FX-8320 has less performance than i5-3350p at the moment.

What do you think guys?

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

intel has less but better cores.
amd has more but crappy cores,
the fx 8320 cores are not true cores, only 4 modules.
gaming multithreaded is a long way away and the fx 8320 would be too underpowered to play them anyway.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
- Nope, because it only has 4 FPUs.
- Each FPU that it does have is only about 70% as powerful as the FPU's in Ivy Bridge / Haswell / beyond.

By the time Haswell is completed I expect the Intel FPUs to be no less than twice as efficient per clock cycle than the AMD ones.
- Intel have 1 FPU per core
- AMD have 1 FPU per two cores (half as many Floating Point Units).

They like to document it as having two FPU's as the FPU can be split in half between the cores.

Block diagram says otherwise:

AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_%28CPU_core_bloack%29.PNG

TraceDaBoss

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
OK I am sorry but I hate Fanboys.... Especially Intel/Apple fanboys. I hate apple!! I am unbiased but I cannot stand Apple. Intel I like them but they are way overpriced. OK back to the subject. Everybody hates on AMD and like I said, I am unbiased but the FX series does not suck.. I have 2 rigs with 8350s in them and one with i7 4770k which is my newest build but guess what?! My 8350 builds sometimes get higher FPS and is just faster than the brand new i7 and they all have 2 GTX 680s(all of my rigs). But anyways and FX is great and the 8320 is only a lower clocked 8350. And guess what? The 8320 destroys all Core i5s as of now and even beats some i7s and if it does lose a benchmark it won't be very noticeable in how fast the computer is. If you are loaded with money then sure, go with Intel because yes, they are higher quality but their price/performance ratio sucks complete crap. If you are on a lower budget then I would strongly recommend the FX series in general. Oh and to answer your question if I didn't already answer it, the FX 8320 completely DESTROYS the i5 3330p so yes if you are an enthusiast or rich then go with an i7 3960x but the only thing is your electric bill might cost maybe 10$ extra because that CPU sonsumes more electricity. And it heats up warmer. Buts its completely your choice. I am just saying, that is you are looking in that price range, the AMD is a lot better of a decision. Oh and if you don't believe me on the benchmark/performance of the AMD vs the Intel then go to cpubenchmark.net and look at the high end CPUs and look at the best value. Happy answering :D!!

TraceDaBoss

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
OK I am sorry but I hate Fanboys.... Especially Intel/Apple fanboys. I hate apple!! I am unbiased but I cannot stand Apple. Intel I like them but they are way overpriced. OK back to the subject. Everybody hates on AMD and like I said, I am unbiased but the FX series does not suck.. I have 2 rigs with 8350s in them and one with i7 4770k which is my newest build but guess what?! My 8350 builds sometimes get higher FPS and is just faster than the brand new i7 and they all have 2 GTX 680s(all of my rigs). But anyways and FX is great and the 8320 is only a lower clocked 8350. And guess what? The 8320 destroys all Core i5s as of now and even beats some i7s and if it does lose a benchmark it won't be very noticeable in how fast the computer is. If you are loaded with money then sure, go with Intel because yes, they are higher quality but their price/performance ratio sucks complete crap. If you are on a lower budget then I would strongly recommend the FX series in general. Oh and to answer your question if I didn't already answer it, the FX 8320 completely DESTROYS the i5 3330p so yes if you are an enthusiast or rich then go with an i7 3960x but the only thing is your electric bill might cost maybe 10$ extra because that CPU sonsumes more electricity. And it heats up warmer. Buts its completely your choice. I am just saying, that is you are looking in that price range, the AMD is a lot better of a decision. Oh and if you don't believe me on the benchmark/performance of the AMD vs the Intel then go to cpubenchmark.net and look at the high end CPUs and look at the best value. Happy answering :D!!