Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bridging

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2012 5:55:12 PM

Okay so I was building my computer and I've entered a few different contests and drawings for different graphics cards. I have a nvidia, and might be getting an AMD Radeon. My question is, can I bridge the two? I know nvidia uses SLI and AMD uses CrossfireX, but I didn't know if there was a method of bridging the two different brands. I would hate for one of them to go to waste!

Any answer is greatly appreciated.

More about : bridging

a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 5:59:12 PM

No you cannot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 6:02:46 PM

Don't worry you won't win a videocard in any of those drawings... I'm going to win them!

Oh... and you can't bridge an AMD card and an Nvidia card
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 6:05:15 PM

Ok thanks. Does that mean I have to use them separately? Can I change between them at any time, for whatever reason I may have? Or will one of them just go to waste and I have to sell it or use it in a separate computer?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 6:07:13 PM

Yes you can. You just can't have them running in crossfire or SLI. Hell you can probably have them running at the same time on the same computer outputting video to different monitors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 6:16:14 PM

Yes you can run them on the same PC just not rendering the same graphics at the same time for a performance boost.

You have a one in millions chance of winning two video card giveaway contests...
m
l

Best solution

a c 117 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 6:37:00 PM

No you cannot use NVidia and AMD cards in tandem. There are a few things that you can do

1. You can use each card to drive multiple desktops. This can come in handy

2. You can pass one GPU off to a virtual machine if your machine has VT-d support and your hypervisor allows it

3. You can setup Hybrid PhysX where you use the Radeon GPU to do rendering and the NVidia GPU to handle Physics. This is not officially supported (in fact the NVidia drivers explicitly disable PhysX if an AMD GPU is detected) but there are software workarounds
June 11, 2012 6:49:20 PM

Depending on my setup, I'll most likely be getting the Radeon HD 7950 3GB and the GTX 670 (both over time if I don't win one or the other- I WILL have them at some point) and right now I have the GTX 560. Once I get everything and use a 3 card setup, what are my options then? I know the two nvidia cards will most likely be able to be used in SLI.

Ps. @pacioli, I have entered many contests. I've entered two on newegg, and there are many contests in the city I live in because there is at least five (possibly more..) in my area, which means more chances.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 6:53:55 PM

Actually the Nvidia cards need to be identical GPUS. So you can SLI two 560s but not a 560 and a 560 TI. OR a 560 and a 670 cannot be SLIed.

You can do it with crossfire but that is silly... You see the slower card would cripple the faster card and you'd be better off just running the faster card alone.

As far as contests... The chances are very poor that you will win one. Good Luck though. Just don't count on it.
You have tens of thousands of people entering each contest. If the chance you will win is around 1 in 10,000, then the chance you will win two is 1 in 100,000,000... So that is like the same odds you would win the lottery...
Chance of getting killed in a car accident in your life... 1 in 69.
Chance of getting hit by lightning in your life 1 in 3000
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46915119/ns/us_news-weird_n...
m
l
June 11, 2012 6:58:27 PM

I know SLI had some exceptions, just not sure what those were. I know crossfire is between any GPU that is crossfirex ready/compatible.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 7:00:19 PM

You can't really SLI GTX 670 and GTX 560.
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:37:16 PM

Oh and another question, is Newegg trusted? I keep seeing good reviews and bad reviews and I'm aftraid of dropping $500+ just to end up with nothing usable.
m
l
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 7:40:50 PM

xan326 said:
Oh and another question, is Newegg trusted? I keep seeing good reviews and bad reviews and I'm aftraid of dropping $500+ just to end up with nothing usable.

No, Newegg is one of the least trustworthy sources on the internet. They're just below The Daily Mail and iReport
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 7:43:08 PM

Newegg gives great customer service! I've never had an issue with anything bought there.
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:46:26 PM

And here it goes again, someone says that they aren't, another says they are. What about pccasegear.com? I've heard that they're trusted and for being Australian, they have cheap prices.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 7:47:40 PM

Newegg is great...
Where are you?
Are you in Australia?
Newegg does not ship to Australia...
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 7:49:27 PM

Don't trust newegg reviews. They're worth absolutely zero.
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:56:06 PM

most shopping site reviews suck if you don't know what to look at... my method = throw away all 5 and 1 star ratings mainly for the same reasons...

5 star rating = probably not tech smart but it worked as they expected (oooh it's shiny people)
1 star rating = probably not tech smart and it didn't work (probably user error)

now look at the rest of the ratings and balance the good ones with bad ones and you get a more realistic picture....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 7:56:13 PM

I have been using newegg for like 8 years. They are pretty good. Consumer reveiws are done by consumers you always have to take them with a grain of salt.
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:57:01 PM

I'm in America. That Australian site I found has excellent reviews, haven't found a bad one yet that would be a legit review! Newegg on the other hand, I've seen good and bad reviews, long and extensive reviews stating problems and how they wouldn't help, then a ton of good reviews of buying this or that and they're a good site etc. I just don't want to drop so much money and ending up with defective pieces they won't exchange for good ones or give a decent return.
And that site was the only one I could find a limited edition case in stock!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 8:07:12 PM

Buying something from an Australian site is a bad idea if you don't live in Australia...
You may be assessed tariffs upon bringing the equipment into the country.
How do you return something to Australia... paying big $$$ to ship it back.
You can always get hardware at a brick and mortar store...
m
l
June 11, 2012 8:15:08 PM

True, but I'm still buying the computer case. Cooler master 690 II nVidia usb 3.0 edition. Only place I could find it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 8:29:27 PM

xan326 said:
True, but I'm still buying the computer case. Cooler master 690 II nVidia usb 3.0 edition. Only place I could find it.

They don't ship to the US anyways...
m
l
June 11, 2012 8:32:43 PM

Guess I have to find a case again... Hate this part
m
l
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 9:34:55 PM

xan326 said:
Guess I have to find a case again... Hate this part

Antec makes a lot of very affordable high quality mid towers. If you're going for a "professional" look check out the Antec P183 or P193 for a full tower. They're decently priced and extremely well constructed. Gaming cases might look cool but a lot of them are poorly constructed.

Corsair also makes some very sleek looking cases which have both gaming and professional looks (sometimes both in the same package). They're new to the case industry but they've taken reviewers by surprise. I have a Corsair Obsidian 800D full tower and have never seen anything better in my life. It's pricey but there are mid tower variants available in similar designs.

I advise against being easily sold on cases with flashy lights, oversized fans, or included PSUs. The lights will keep you up at night, the fans will be noisy (air flow is noisy too) and a lot of the PSUs are just garbage.
m
l
June 11, 2012 9:39:43 PM

Thanks Pinhedd, I'm just looking for a case that looks cool or looks somewhat decent (that's why I want that nVidia case, I love special edition parts and it looked pretty kick ass) I'm also looking for a case that supports large fans, 200mm fans take less rpms to push more air.
m
l
June 11, 2012 10:25:09 PM

Aztek has it on pre/backorder, and the other one is going a bit out of price range unless I can find cheaper parts... I hate having a tight budget
m
l
June 11, 2012 10:29:30 PM

what's the case budget? The Corsair C70 which is pretty new is a beautiful looking case in my opinion... doesn't support fans bigger than 140 I believe, but it does have room for 11 fans and sits there for me between stylish and utility (personally hate over fabricated decorated cases with tons of plastic all over them)
m
l
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 11, 2012 10:47:15 PM

xan326 said:
Thanks Pinhedd, I'm just looking for a case that looks cool or looks somewhat decent (that's why I want that nVidia case, I love special edition parts and it looked pretty kick ass) I'm also looking for a case that supports large fans, 200mm fans take less rpms to push more air.

200mm fans and above are a bit overrated imo. More airflow is generally better, no one will argue that but it is often possible to accomplish the same cooling with less noise simply by having the right fans in the right spots. My case has 3 140mm fans +2 120mm fans on my top mounted radiator and together they're much quieter than the 200mm fan on my brother's Antec 1200. The 200mm fans have an annoying hum which can get to some people, 120mm and 140mm don't.
m
l
June 22, 2012 11:10:43 PM

Best answer selected by xan326.
m
l
!