Old RAM upgrade

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Green
  • Font
Last response: in Memory
August 16, 2001 11:32:22 PM

Want to add some RAM to an old computer.
Its a Compac P133 of some sort..AARRGHH LOL
8 slots. 4 filled.
I can see 16M on one chip. The system runs with 32MB, so I reckon they are four paired 16MB chips.

I have 64MB (4 x 32MB pairs) from a P166.

Is it safe to assume I can use both together?

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

More about : ram upgrade

August 19, 2001 9:23:16 PM

Come on! Where's the brains?

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>
a b } Memory
August 20, 2001 2:27:23 AM

Maybe. If it looks like standard SIMMS, probably. Compaq did use some strange memory occasionally. I would try it.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 21, 2001 3:40:33 AM

I don't know. I tried using Crucial's memory selector but I didn't know which model Compaq you have so I selected a Deskpro 5133MX. What I found is, at least this one, is a strange beast with 6 SIMM slots (3 pairs). When I selected one of the memory modules and then traced back the part number it came up as a proprietary part for this one computer only. I thought that might be the case with the Deskpro series (lots of non-interchangable part bettween models.

I suggest you do a similar search for the Compaq you have there. If the memory part comes up as a standard SIMM then memory you have should work.

Incidentally, the Deskpro memory priced at $35.99 per 32MB SIMM after WEB discount.
August 21, 2001 4:29:25 AM

I hope not to buy any RAM.

My friend is scrapping his P166 and taking the HDD & sound card for his new PII 300 system.

Another friend has a P133 with above blah, blah.

I figured the best upgrade without spending any money was to get the RAM together for 96MB (not bad for a P133).

Friend 2 is running Win98 and the HDD is pushed to give out swapfile due to the limited remaining disk space.

So I tidied up the HDD to allow 500MB free, but I reckon the system will be better off with treble the RAM.

Q. Will I encounter any memory speed issues, or with SIMMs are they all alike?

a b } Memory
August 21, 2001 8:38:18 AM

Look, the easiest way to tell if it's compatable is to remove the old memory, install a pair of the new memory, and see if it boots. If it doesn't, it's not compatable.
Most Deskpro's with SIMMS used standard FPM or EDO SIMMS. In fact I have a Deskpro 2000 M5133/1200 DOM with standard memory setting on my workbench RIGHT NOW that I upgraded myself. In fact it has the two original Compaq SIMMS and two generic SEC chip simms (which I installed). Been running for several hours without a problem.

a b } Memory
August 21, 2001 8:39:48 AM

Oh, and use 60ns SIMMS, EDO if possible. You can mix EDO and FPM on most machines, some require the slower FPM memory to be installed in the first bank.

August 21, 2001 7:21:23 PM

I stand corrected.

Crashman, just how many computers do you own? Compaqs, 486's, dualies? Seems you have everything there.
a b } Memory
August 21, 2001 7:32:37 PM

Like I said I'm THE supplier of refurbished systems for a local store, a store that specializes in....refurbished systems! The name of the store is Computer Consignments, in Mt. Pleasant, MI, in case you were interested. He'll also sell you a low end new 1GHz machine for some outrageous price like $800 or something. I usually have a rotating stock of about 30 systems.
The thing to look for with Compaqs is an odd center chip, they used buffered memory on a lot of machines. Also, a lot of their DIMMs were EDO and many of their motherboards supported EDO DIMMS only, unlike other boards that supported both EDO and SDRAM.
But in this circumstance I just happened to have the PC he was looking at on my bench at the time, so I had the answer for him. People in here get lucky like that sometimes.

August 22, 2001 9:11:05 AM

If you tell me the modal number ( Better with the S/N as well) then I'll check what you need! the serial number is in the format N(Place of manufacture)N(Year of Manufacture)NN(Week of manufacture)LLLN(Assembly Code for board rev)NNNN(Number of that modal off production line that week). So you will have a number in the format of NNNNLLLNNNNN (where N=number and L=letter)

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.
a b } Memory
August 23, 2001 12:38:07 AM

I don't have it, but my supplier does. It's incredibly expensive stuff. Are you sure you can't switch all your memory to SDRAM? (No system can use both simultaneously, some can use either/or, so the use of SDRAM requires removal of EDO). I can get you 144pin SDRAM for $18/64MB chip. It's even cheaper on Pricewatch, $19 for 128MB!.

August 23, 2001 1:37:27 AM

Yeah, it is rediculously expensive. I have no choice, it is for an old laptop running a Pentium 133MMX. HOw much is your supplier selling for a 64mb stick???

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
a b } Memory
August 23, 2001 1:43:27 AM

$80!!!!