Sign in with
Your question

Cpu overheating within 2 minutes..pls help..!!!

Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2012 1:45:58 PM

yesterday, i changed my processor and ensured that the heatsink was installed properly....
I checked all connections and even ensured that the heatsink fan was running..
Then as i switched on my computer, and started monitoring temps. , within 1 minute of turning my pc on, and without any of the programmes running, the cpu temperature was a soaring 78 degrees.........!!!!!!
This caused a freeze...and i was literally pissed and horrified.....
This has been happening all day long today...................

Is there any help out there....???? Thnxx in advance..
December 16, 2012 2:07:14 PM

Don't know if this your exact problem, but I just posted a thread about Malwarebytes.

I have an Intel i7 950 CPU, and I was normally idling at 39-42c, and was at 55-65 under load.

I tried the trial version of Malwarebytes about a month ago, and I couldn't figure out why my idle temps had jumped about ten degrees, and was hovering around 50c. In addition, my CPU usage jumped from a normal idle of 1%, to 15%.

It was Malwarebytes causing it.

Since you have checked already that your processor is properly installed, and that your fans are functioning nornmaly, that probably eliminates any hardware issues.

May I ask how big of a case you have, and how much ventilation you have? Perhaps the older processor you had didn't run as hot or need as much ventilation or space, and your new one needs more room to breath in terms of internal case space. If that's the issue, then maybe a case upgrade is in order.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a process running that is directly causing the temperature spike.

As I said, I discovered that, of all things, Malwarebytes running in the background caused a 10 degree spike in my CPU temp. Who would have thought!

I would go into Task Manager, and carefully look at all the processes you have running, and see how much CPU usage and memory they are occupying. Particularly things like Updater processes or Maintenance processes for programs you have installed. Also check out how much CPU usage your antivirus software is occupying, antivirus can cause CPU temp spikes when updating themselves.

AND....look for processes running that support an external hard drive, like Western Digital. WD is notorious for spiking CPU usage and CPU temps when its updating itself.

Many of the processes that run in the background are not needed when your PC is running, and many of those processes can cause CPU temp spikes and usage spikes.

As I said, I just solved a CPU temp issue myself, so let me know if what I suggested works or makes any difference!

Oinkus
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:07:24 PM

The heatsink is not installed properly for sure.
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:10:33 PM

noidea_77 said:

Agree. Refit with new thermal paste.
December 16, 2012 2:12:48 PM

noidea_77 said:

True, but not necessarily. You are right though, he should definitely check one more time to make sure the heatsink pins are all firmly attached.

But this could also be caused by a process running in the background.

I have seen Norton Antivirus, when it does its Live Update, to cause my CPU temp to instantly spike from 45c to about 68c in a matter of seconds, and also cause my CPU usage to go from 10% to about 80%!!!

Norton Live Updates are brutal when updating, good thing it only lasts for about a minute or so.

December 16, 2012 2:15:21 PM

Oinkusboinkus said:
Don't know if this your exact problem, but I just posted a thread about Malwarebytes.

I have an Intel i7 950 CPU, and I was normally idling at 39-42c, and was at 55-65 under load.

I tried the trial version of Malwarebytes about a month ago, and I couldn't figure out why my idle temps had jumped about ten degrees, and was hovering around 50c. In addition, my CPU usage jumped from a normal idle of 1%, to 15%.

It was Malwarebytes causing it.

Since you have checked already that your processor is properly installed, and that your fans are functioning nornmaly, that probably eliminates any hardware issues.

May I ask how big of a case you have, and how much ventilation you have? Perhaps the older processor you had didn't run as hot or need as much ventilation or space, and your new one needs more room to breath in terms of internal case space. If that's the issue, then maybe a case upgrade is in order.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a process running that is directly causing the temperature spike.

As I said, I discovered that, of all things, Malwarebytes running in the background caused a 10 degree spike in my CPU temp. Who would have thought!

I would go into Task Manager, and carefully look at all the processes you have running, and see how much CPU usage and memory they are occupying. Particularly things like Updater processes or Maintenance processes for programs you have installed. Also check out how much CPU usage your antivirus software is occupying, antivirus can cause CPU temp spikes when updating themselves.

AND....look for processes running that support an external hard drive, like Western Digital. WD is notorious for spiking CPU usage and CPU temps when its updating itself.

Many of the processes that run in the background are not needed when your PC is running, and many of those processes can cause CPU temp spikes and usage spikes.

As I said, I just solved a CPU temp issue myself, so let me know if what I suggested works or makes any difference!

Oinkus

well.....u'll definitely be surprised to know that i switched back from a core 2 duo e 7400 to a pentium D 935 ......(don't ask why)
There are no malwares running in the background....
I checked it all....i reinstalled my heatsink several times....and i am still pissed......
No gains here.....
December 16, 2012 2:15:27 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Agree. Refit with new thermal paste.

Replacement thermal paste for a new processor? Why would he need to apply new thermal paste, that shouldn't be necessary at all.

Unless he installed an older, used processor that has a few years of use on it, then I could see the need for new paste.

But if he bought a brand new processor, he shouldn't have to replace anything on it.
December 16, 2012 2:17:52 PM

armageddon007 said:
yesterday, i changed my processor and ensured that the heatsink was installed properly....
I checked all connections and even ensured that the heatsink fan was running..
Then as i switched on my computer, and started monitoring temps. , within 1 minute of turning my pc on, and without any of the programmes running, the cpu temperature was a soaring 78 degrees.........!!!!!!
This caused a freeze...and i was literally pissed and horrified.....
This has been happening all day long today...................

Is there any help out there....???? Thnxx in advance..

Did you put in a brand new processor that you bought retail, or did you install a used one?

Because if it's brand new, there's no way you would need new thermal paste....barring that by some freak chance they didn't apply enough paste when it was manufactured in the factory, or the paste itself was bad, or that it somehow sat in a warehouse for a long time before being sold, like back-stock, and the paste dried out. But that's really, really unlikely.
December 16, 2012 2:20:43 PM

I didn't buy a new processor....instead switched from a core 2 duo e 7400 to a pentium D 935 ( dont ask why)......
And as all of you are saying about the impproper installment of heatsink, i'll surely check it back....

But , i wanted to be sure that how can i confirm that my heatsink is properly installed...(because i ensured that the pins are tight) .
How else can i check the proper installment of the heatsink.......???????
December 16, 2012 2:23:06 PM

armageddon007 said:
well.....u'll definitely be surprised to know that i switched back from a core 2 duo e 7400 to a pentium D 935 ......(don't ask why)
There are no malwares running in the background....
I checked it all....i reinstalled my heatsink several times....and i am still pissed......
No gains here.....

Ah, ok I see.

Actually, I just wanted to make sure that I was clear, maybe I said it in a confusing way. I wasn't talking about actual malware infecting your system. I meant the actual program "Malwarebytes" which, as you know, is an antivirus program. The process that was running the program itself is what was causing the temp spike in my CPU.

Antivirus programs can cause huge CPU temp and usage spikes sometimes. Not saying this is your problem necessarily, but that it might be.

But now that you've told us that you have checked the installation several times, and that it's properly installed, it has to be something running on your rig that is causing it, or, as I said, lack of ventilation. Do you have any areas clogged with dust near that area? Any case fans blocked?
December 16, 2012 2:29:23 PM

armageddon007 said:
I didn't buy a new processor....instead switched from a core 2 duo e 7400 to a pentium D 935 ( dont ask why)......
And as all of you are saying about the impproper installment of heatsink, i'll surely check it back....

But , i wanted to be sure that how can i confirm that my heatsink is properly installed...(because i ensured that the pins are tight) .

Armageddon,

Nope, you pretty much did it right, that was the main thing, making sure that the pins are in all the way, fully seated and tight. As long as they all "clicked" when you pushed them down, then they're good.

Do you have a system temp monitor running on your PC? I have "Open Hardware Monitor" which is a free temp program. You can see in real time from moment to moment what the temps of all your components are, min. and max. I would have something like that up on screen and just keep looking at it as you try to figure it out.

I still have a gut feeling you've got something running in the background that's doing it. Do you happen to know what your current CPU usage is at percentage-wise? Because if the CPU usage is high AND your temp is that high, I am almost certain it's a program or process causing it, it has to be.

OH, also, are you running a gaming rig? Are you using anything like Afterburner to adjust your video card fan speeds? If so, sometimes fan and overclocking programs can cause spikes with certain CPU's.
December 16, 2012 2:31:29 PM

i have checked the heatsink....but i'll have to check it once more to be sure...
I'll have to take it out and install it again....
Well....ummmm..it can be dust clogging or something...
I'll clean up my pc completely and reinstall the heatsink again....

Then i'll let u know...mr. Oinkusboinkus...
Your active participation is heartily appreciated...thnxx...!!
December 16, 2012 2:31:59 PM

armageddon007 said:

Ahhh ok.....well....I take it back then.

The other fellows could be right. If it's not a new processor, then indeed you could be dealing with old, worn out thermal paste.

Do you know how old this processor is, and how many years of use it has on it? If it's over three years or so, then they are right, you might very well need new thermal paste.

Not a big deal in terms of replacing it, just the pain of having to take the CPU out and buying the paste and all that nonsense.
December 16, 2012 2:37:13 PM

armageddon007 said:
i have checked the heatsink....but i'll have to check it once more to be sure...
I'll have to take it out and install it again....
Well....ummmm..it can be dust clogging or something...
I'll clean up my pc completely and reinstall the heatsink again....

Then i'll let u know...mr. Oinkusboinkus...
Your active participation is heartily appreciated...thnxx...!!

No problem, happy to help......just happened to be on this morning with CPU temp issues myself, and saw your post pop up!

Keep me posted!

Oinkus
December 16, 2012 2:37:32 PM

mr. Oinkusboinkus

there's no such program as malware bytes installed on my pc...
And i don't use internet on this pc , so i even don't have any antivirus software...
I use asrock oc tuner for monitoring temps..
And my cpu usage is 5% while my temp is 79 degrees centigrade.....!!!omg...!!
Dat's hot,,,,!!!hoof...!!
I'll have to check for dust cloggings and reinstall my cpu and the heatsink ....

I'll let u know 4 sure..!!thnxx
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:41:18 PM

Oinkusboinkus said:
Replacement thermal paste for a new processor? Why would he need to apply new thermal paste, that shouldn't be necessary at all.

If you refit(remove) the cooler you will break the seal the thermal paste created between it and the CPU. If you remove the cooler you always replace the thermalpaste.
December 16, 2012 2:42:02 PM

Hi! I had the same problem with my new Pentium D 945!
& anyone knows that those CPU's get heated faster like in workstations.

I did the same what you did.
So, what you should do is
Remove the Cooler & wipe the old thermal Greece/compound off the CPU & the Heat Sink as well.
Clean the dust completely (Wash it precisely if you can, not to wet the fan (Because, I technically did it!))
Apply some new Greece & give it a try! Believe Me! This works!

Good Luck!
December 16, 2012 2:50:01 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
If you refit(remove) the cooler you will break the seal the thermal paste created between it and the CPU. If you remove the cooler you always replace the thermalpaste.

Right, but he was just talking about making sure that everything was properly seated, and that the pins were fully engaged and had all clicked. All I was saying was that if it was a brand new processor and it was installed correctly, the chances would be small that it would need new thermal paste.

But he also said that the processor is not new, it's used. Perhaps the paste has outlived its effectiveness.

So you're quite right, this could very well need fresh paste.
December 16, 2012 2:50:04 PM

trailbreaker said:

Remove the Cooler & wipe the old thermal Greece/compound off the CPU & the Heat Sink as well.
Clean the dust completely (Wash it precisely if you can, not to wet the fan (Because, I technically did it!))

Good Luck!

thnxxx....4 ur advice...
I'll try what u said and surely let u know....!!!!
Seems u are having a pretty much similar cpu....
So ur method i worth taking into consideration...

Thnxx everyone concerned....!!!
December 16, 2012 2:50:30 PM

trailbreaker said:

Good Luck!

thnxxx....4 ur advice...
I'll try what u said and surely let u know....!!!!
Seems u are having a pretty much similar cpu....
So ur method i worth taking into consideration...

Thnxx everyone concerned....!!!
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 3:02:34 PM

Oinkusboinkus said:
Perhaps the paste has outlived its effectiveness.

That's a good point actually.

Also yes the P4 got very hot, it's one of the reasons I dumped it from my HTPC duties.
December 16, 2012 4:30:45 PM

hafijur said:
I know you said not to ask why but I am curious why swap ancient technology over a new cpu leaps and bounds better? Is it for benchmarking?

okay......i'll say it....
Look...i had the pentium D chip earlier ...
Suddenly one of my frnd said that he was dumping his pc...so i told him to lend his processor (core 2 duo ) to me...
I installed the core 2 duo and it worked like a charm...but 15 days later he wanted hi proc. backk.......!!!!
End of the lullaby...!! I gave him the core 2 duo back and forcefully had to install the shitty pentium D again....
The lullaby was long and that's why i was hesitant to recite the whole story....

Well.....i have a question in mind...the local shops here currently do not have thermal paste...so are there any specific replacements for the thermal paste.....like can i apply grease, or toothpaste, or car engine coolant.....etc....???? Pls rply...!!!
October 3, 2013 3:22:59 AM

Any time! & ya its a Pentium D 945 (3.4GHz) on a stock intel 775 cooler :) 
!